First period - something to celebrate?

(234 Posts)
DarthVader Sat 29-Dec-07 18:35:39

I am making plans with my 8 year old about how we will celebrate her first period! How did other people celebrate this milestone with their daughters?

DarthVader Fri 04-Jan-08 16:18:27

Monkeybird that makes a great tale!!!

This thread has made it to morningpaper's round up! How cool is that? That's one ambition for 2008 ticked off!

My next ambition for the year is to make some "I want one of those" fairy cakes...may not sound much, but I am a dreadful cook, even worse at baking. The fire brigade were summoned 3 times to my buring kitchen in one particularly bad 6 month (time) period. I may open a thread for advice

<<<ponders>>>

Monkeybird Fri 04-Jan-08 19:48:42

I know - congratulations on making the roundup. Obv though angry they rounded up before reading my post (I know I was late off the starting blocks an all) so my menstruating crocodiles will now never go down in history. I know some of you won't believe me but when I dig it out of the loft when we move house, I am, I promise, gonna post a digital photo to remind you all NEVER to do that to your DDs.

Go to dept store. Let her loose on the make-up counters. Do not, however drunk you are, do knitting, red scarf waving, mother earth statuette licking or wacko stuff...

DarthVader Sat 05-Jan-08 10:14:26

Yes, MP very clearly rounded up too early. You MUST post a photo, Monkeybird.

Was this an isolated wacko incident or do you have a catalogue of them shock!!!

AbbeyA Sat 05-Jan-08 11:24:17

I would love a photo Monkeybird! It might make people think twice before they subject their DD to some sort of ritual!

Monkeybird Sat 05-Jan-08 15:02:41

oooooh, a whole catalogue of my loony mother stories (ah now that gives me an idea for a potential MN classic thread that I might just start later on to build my attempt at world domination.... heh heh heh heh)

moondog Sat 05-Jan-08 15:08:57

Hysterical Monkey.
Melpolene that link defies belief. A 'Navajo puberty poem'. Dear God....

DarthVader Sat 05-Jan-08 19:25:13

More, Monkeybird!

Your audience awaits with nervous anticipation!

BroccoliSpears Sat 05-Jan-08 23:02:14

I quite like the idea of my girl and I going out for a pizza, just us. No big hoooha. Just an acknowledgement and something close and together.

My mum had just come home on leave and shouted down the landing from her bedroom, asking if I'd started my periods yet. I shouted back yes. She shouted back ... I can't even remember, probably something about "at last" because I was quite late to start. That was it. My mum doesn't do closeness or girl stuff. I would have appreciated it once in a while.

idlingabout Fri 11-Jan-08 11:40:42

I totally agree with Anna888 - there is nothing to celebrate about periods in my experience. I got them aged 12 and from the outset they were a nightmare. Not only were they totally iregular but they were agonisingly painful and I would be physically sick from the pain. The irregularity was awful as I had no warning signs.Only going on the pill changed things - not so much pain and can at least plan. I will stay on pill until menopause as I am not prepared to go back to the hell of the past.When I came off pill to have child I expected that the years of taking it would mean some sort of regularity but no such luck. I really hope my dd does not have to go through the same problems as I did - I will be straightforward with her and certainly ensure she is not embarrassed but will not celebrate what will at best be an inconvenience for decades.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now