2.5 year old dd scared of noises

(9 Posts)
Myusernameisalreadyinuse Thu 24-Nov-16 19:06:22

It started on fireworks night. We went outside just as three loud fireworks went off near us. The bangs petrified her and she was shaking, clinging on to me and asking to go back inside. We went in and she spent the evening running from room to room whenever she heard another firework to try and escape the noise.

Since then, she gets anxious whenever we hear a sudden, unexpected noise. We can hear our neighbours moving about through the wall and when we do she stops what she's doing and says, (worriedly), "don't worry it's only the neighbours. It's not a firework." Same for other noises like car doors being shut etc. This is happening many times throughout the day, every day.

I've tried staying breezy about it, reassuring her, and not making a big deal of it but it doesn't seem to be working. She picks up on sounds I don't even hear and although she has never been scared like she was that night, it's like she's on edge. She has said "firework" in her sleep a few times since, and she sometimes says her drawings (scribbles) are fireworks. I thought she'd be getting over it by now but she seems to be getting worse.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Any tips on what to do?

Myusernameisalreadyinuse Thu 24-Nov-16 20:17:12

Bump

isthistoonosy Thu 24-Nov-16 20:27:05

Not the same exactly but our toddler is scared of loud machines, vacum, chain saw, forest strimmer, wood splitter etc and we have found giving him eat defenders explaining how they work and where he can find a pair and then letting him be around a lot when we are using things is really helping. At two he was running to us to be picked up now at three he can use the hover without ear defenders and will.happily stand and watch us use the outside stuff (with ear defenders of course).
Could you try some sparklers and maybe a Catherine wheel with ear defenders and gradually get her use to it?

Myusernameisalreadyinuse Thu 24-Nov-16 20:46:57

It's good to hear your ds is getting over his fear. I keep worrying I've scarred her for life! I'll order some ear defenders online and give the fireworks in the garden a go. I hope she does get better...I'm sure she will, it's just at the moment I'm having to reassure her about 20 times a day. Every time someone goes in their car, or our neighbours bang their furniture around, as they seem to do multiple times throughout the day (would love to know what they're doing in there)!

BastardGoDarkly Thu 24-Nov-16 20:49:51

Awwww bless her heart, my DD started the same thing over hand driers in the public loo. She's still jumpy at loud sounds tbh, and will cover her ears if a motorbike goes by for example.

She's five now, and it's improved 10 fold, if that helps.

Paddingtonthebear Thu 24-Nov-16 20:54:19

My just turned 4 year old is like this. Terrified of fireworks. Scared by loud sudden noises. Ok with music and household items like vacuum and hairdryer. Sometimes I can make her jump just by walking into a room and speaking to her.

She is very loud herself though, ironically grin. I assume she will grow out of it all.

SueGeneris Thu 24-Nov-16 20:58:46

Could you 'desensitise ' her to the idea of fireworks as a scary thing by showing her YouTube videos of firework displays with the sound off and then very low? Could you find eg one of the Disney ones where it's part of a child oriented thing? And talk about how people love to see fireworks because they are pretty and like magic lights in the sky. Get ear defenders as pp suggest and say people can wear these if they go to a real display and it's too loud.

My DD was freaked out by loud noises for a long time after a very loud motorbike went past her when she was in the buggy aged around 2.

Is there a Woolly and Tig episode about fireworks? !

Myusernameisalreadyinuse Thu 24-Nov-16 21:54:33

YouTube videos is a good idea too! And I'll have a Google and see if there are any relevant Woolly and Tig episodes.

Thank you everyone. It's a relief to hear others have been through similar - though sorry to hear about your scared dc's of course.

She is very loud herself though, ironically grin. I assume she will grow out of it all.

My dd is very loud too! Originally I did think she'd grow out of it but had managed to convince myself that she might need therapy.... I'm leaning back to she'll grow out of it now thanks to this thread!

ellieflower123 Thu 19-Jan-17 17:14:41

Just wondering if your DD has got any better? We've had exactly the same issue with our little boy (our neighbours set off some fireworks unexpectedly on bonfire night and he was terrified). Now every noise had to be explained and if he hears a loud noise like a hand dryer or a car horn he jumps a mile, runs away and gets upset.
Just wondering if the fireworks in the garden worked as we might try that?!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now