Anybody want to join me in a terrible twos support thread?

(6 Posts)
confusedofengland Fri 18-Nov-16 09:52:29

DS3 is 2.9. He is quite bright I think & is already trying to read & write & can count etc. He is very verbal. He can be absolutely lovely eg the other night he snuggled me & said we were best friends & when I said I was a bit poorly he wanted to cover me up with a blanket ☺ He can also be very cute, collecting leaves, singing songs & much more!

But he can be an absolute horror. He has tantrums like the other two never did, even the one with suspected ASD. Currently he's screaming because I gave him 2 white mini marshmallows in his hot chocolate when he wanted 1 white 1 pink hmm This is not uncommon. I have told him that it doesn't matter & he should drink his drink before it gets cold & that screaming doesn't work & now I'm just ignoring! He can also push his big brothers sometimes if frustrated (deal with by separating them, apology & naughty step if it continues).

Not really looking for advice as I know it will pass! Just wondering if anybody has one similar & wants to join me in venting? grin

Binglesplodge Fri 18-Nov-16 16:49:52

Hello! It's a testing time, isn't it?! My ds is just 2 and although the tantrums aren't too bad so far the feigned deafness every time I ask him to do something he doesn't want to do is utterly infuriating...

SairdyJane25 Wed 23-Nov-16 18:56:48

My DS isn't 2 for another two weeks but I feel we are already in the throes of the terrible 2's. The selective hearing drives me insane, I'm getting fed up of hearing my own voice asking him the same questions everyday! So far we haven't had too many tantrums, but they are horrific when they do happen, not looking forward to them happening on a daily basis ☹️️ Not really sure where to go on the discipline route either...

Curlyloveswine Fri 25-Nov-16 22:55:37

I do!! DD is coming up to 2 and a half. Most of the time she's so sweet, clever and hilarious. Other times I want to shout "FOR FUCKS SAKE". I mutter it instead. It can be very trying, can't it? I've been finding it hard since it's such a difference from how she normally is/has always been.

I've found it a bit more manageable since she has started nursery. She burns plenty of energy and through discussing with the staff have worked out specifically what she's good at and what she enjoys the most so can try and avoid those moments when she fancies a screech just because she's bored. (Obviously spend time with her but having such an array to choose from helps!)

I've decided we're going to start cutting down on television a fair bit. My crutch. Glutton for punishment...

confusedofengland Sat 26-Nov-16 22:36:02

Since I wrote this thread DS has actually been mostly OK hmmgrin I'm sure he's plotting something...

Actually I have acknowledged that he will no longer nap in the day & am doing more to keep him busy eg different groups, playing with him for an hour then he'll play on his own for an hour. I hope he keeps it up!

SleepymrsE Sun 27-Nov-16 02:58:02

Can I join? DS is 27 months. Again, another bright little boy - very talkative, and very capable physically but boy can be throw a wobbly. This weekend we had a massive tantrum because he didn't want to go out. Often we get this but as soon as we are in the car he is fine. Instead this time he cried and screamed until we eventually turned around and then came home which lead to tantrum no2 which was because he didn't want to get out of the car because he wanted to go out now. He went to bed (tired) but cried he wanted to come downstairs and didn't want to go to bed. Came downstairs and two minutes later crying because he wanted to go to bed! Argh.

He does have a 7 week old baby sister so he's been given a bit of slack lately which I'm not sure has helped.

Anyway, just another hand hold for others going through it. It really is hard work at times.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now