Just don't no what to do

(9 Posts)
Misshewer Thu 17-Nov-16 21:34:40

i have a 5 and 6 year old, i don't no where to start im at my breaking point and i just feel like i cant take no more everyday they are naughty wont go to bed wont tidy up I've tried setting boundaries and nothing seems to work. They play about till gone 12 at night and i struggle to get them up for school. They don't listen to a word i say. Im a single mum and there dad isn't involved so i never have a break im getting fed up i just feel like packing there stuff and shipping them of somewhere else. I feel terrible for this but i just don't see light at the end of tunnel. I just don't no what yo do anymore angry

Monkeyface26 Thu 17-Nov-16 21:36:50

What do their teachers say about behaviour at school? Do they follow instructions there?

Misshewer Thu 17-Nov-16 21:38:43

There behaviour at school is A* i really don't get it sad

Handsoffmysweets Thu 17-Nov-16 21:38:52

Sounds like you're at the end of your tether OP. What a nightmare. Have they always been like this? Can you pinpoint an event that has made them worse? Can you honestly say they've ever known routine and discipline?

Monkeyface26 Thu 17-Nov-16 21:48:09

If they behave appropriately at school then this is likely to be about your relationship with them. It is great that they are doing well at school. They can follow instructions from other adults so perhaps you need to get some support with your parenting. SureStart/HomeStart or perhaps local health visitors could point you to parenting classes which are often held during school hours.

How is your mental health? Are you working? You sound hopeless but honestly, these things are never hopeless. You need to learn some new parenting skills so that you can feel more empowered.

Monkeyface26 Thu 17-Nov-16 21:50:44

I hope that doesn't sound critical. I have benefitted hugely from parenting classes and so am a bit of an evangelist about them. Your post is very sad but things can change. It does take some work but you'd be surprised how quickly change can come if you learn and follow some behavioural techniques.

Misshewer Thu 17-Nov-16 22:00:21

yea i work 4 days a week. I find its mostly bed time like tidying up isn't much if a issue but some days can be a nightmare. They share a bedroom which prob doesn't help the situation I've been told to split them up until one or the other is asleep. But i just don't want either of them thinking they can now come and sleep on the sofa or in my bed. They go to bed at half 6 and have 1 hour of TV b4 i then it of there fine in that hour soon as the TV is of that's it bam there like devil children jumping on the beds jumping on each other shouting etc. I just completely blow up i find talking to them civil doesn't work neither does shouting i dunno i suppose im just here to try and get some tips

crazycrofter Fri 18-Nov-16 07:15:22

Maybe 6.30 is just too early for them? In my experience (I have 10 and 12 year olds) it's sometimes better to put them to bed when they're really tired, even if that's a bit later than you'd like. Also, children are very different in their sleep needs. My daughter has never needed much. Now, aged 12, she goes at 10 but often reads etc till 11 and gets up fine at 7.

I think at 5/6 she was probably going to bed around 8.30 although I can't remember exactly. Why don't you try a later bedtime, say 8 and allow them to read for a bit when they go to bed? Reading can make them sleepy.

TenaciousOne Fri 18-Nov-16 07:21:04

Tv isn't a great way of encouraging sleep. Maybe start bedtime a little later and include all of you reading to each other in the routine and sit with them.
My DS is five and I start our routine at 6:30. It starts with a bath, sometimes we come back downstairs for warm milk and then brush teeth. After bath or milk he reads a couple of pages of his book to me and I read to him for a bit and then it's sleep time. He will often be asleep by 7:30

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now