Can I introduce a bottle?

(4 Posts)
Neverknowing Thu 10-Nov-16 15:00:43

My two week old has always breast fed really well, the advice is to wait four weeks to introduce a bottle so that breastfeeding is fully established but I feel like she knows what she's doing already? We don't have any problems does anyone think I could introduce a bottle now without any issues? I really don't want to ruin her breastfeeding but I need a good nights sleep!!

fluffandsnuff Thu 10-Nov-16 15:06:19

Maybe one for the HV?

I introduced a bottle at 6 weeks and DS was fine, but it did naff all to reduce wake ups. Unless you're planning to get DP to do the bottle so you can sleep. Maybe try and tough it out a little longer if you can- just so you don't get the guilt if it doesn't go to plan. BF is bloody hard, just do what you can xx

shuckleberryfinn Thu 10-Nov-16 15:09:19

it's not just about her getting the nipple and the teat confused but also about telling your body how much milk she needs. When you bottle feed her at this stage you will also need to pump as she's fed so your supply can regulate. The short space between wakings is shit but it will pass soon, some people suggest learning to nurse lying down so at least you get some more rest.

Neverknowing Thu 10-Nov-16 15:26:52

I plan to express anyways so she's only on breast milk. I've had awful heartburn/indigestion so sometimes feeding her has been super hard and obviously she just screams because she's hungry and there's nothing me or DP can do sad
I think you're right though I'll wait until the four weeks and just try and see it out!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now