How much screen time does your 2.5 year old have?

(12 Posts)
GlummyMummy Tue 08-Nov-16 11:38:56

My daughter who is nearly 2 and a half has dropped her nap a few months ago. Now instead she likes to have "quiet time" which for her means lying on the sofa under a blanket watching CBeebies or an age-appropriate DVD for 45 mins to an hour around lunch time. Is this every day too much screen time for her at this age? I try not to do it every day but she will ask for it from around 11am!!!!!

Smartleatherbag Tue 08-Nov-16 11:41:51

Sounds like a good plan you have. That's not a lot at all, and it gives her a chance to rest.

GlummyMummy Tue 08-Nov-16 11:47:09

just wish she could find ways to rest without it being in front of the screen! She would lie there all day given half a chance!

moggle Tue 08-Nov-16 16:16:00

I was thinking about this issue this morning, and DD is showing no sign of dropping her nap yet (though she'll have a day without a sleep most weeks). But until they learn to read what else can they do while lying / sitting down and not exerting themselves much ... Maybe listening to music? But my DD would only be interested in nursery rhymes and then she'd be up and doing all the actions! Maybe story books on tape?
But I agree with Smart I don't think what you describe is too much at all. But it wouldn't stop me worrying about it every now and then!

Smartleatherbag Tue 08-Nov-16 18:01:34

Seriously op, you do not have to worry about this. Honestly, there are so many challenges that we face as parents. Giving your kid a chance to chill out for an hour a day is a good thing.

GlummyMummy Tue 08-Nov-16 20:27:51

Thanks both. Moggle- I like the idea of a book on tape but I think she would have a fit if I suggested it...she really is a TV addict! The quiet time seems to be her favourite part of the day and she asks constantly throughout the morning if she can go on the couch for her DVD!

fruitpastille Tue 08-Nov-16 20:34:15

My 2 year old watches whatever the 9 and 7 year old watch - power rangers and danger mouse generally. Actually she watches plenty of Peppa and Ben and Holly too. I really wouldn't worry about it!

daisydalrymple Tue 08-Nov-16 20:40:57

Yes like fruitpastille, my 2 yr old is exposed to more tv than the 7 and 9 yr old watched at his age. (Although they seem to enjoy revisiting their favourite programmes through him, which is cute grin). They both think the sizing of vehicles / figures on INTG is bizarre now too, which is quite gratifying. And also agree Bing bunny can be annoying.

But no, op, I don't think that's too much. Especially as she probably zones out if she's relaxing.

IAmAPaleontologist Tue 08-Nov-16 20:44:51

You could try to bribe her away for me CBeebies by putting CBeebies radio on for her if you don't want to have the tv on. I warn you though it may make you even more crazy than CBeebies does.

HairyScaryMonster Tue 08-Nov-16 20:47:09

DD has probably about an hour a day at the weekend (none at the childminder) or weekday evenings. Lots of Sarah and duck and Bing.

GlummyMummy Tue 08-Nov-16 21:06:48

Thanks everyone, good to know it's not just us!!

CBeebies radio? Didn't even know that existed! Will check that out...

I think the issue is she does still get really tired but flatly refuses to nap so this is something she feels in control of. I just get concerned that it's all she really wants to do with her day! We do go out and about a lot, but on the couch in front of Peppa is when she is truly happy!

GlummyMummy Sun 13-Nov-16 19:46:56

Does anyone else have a sleepy/lazy toddler who spends all day complaining of being sleepy? How can I encourage her to be more active?!?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now