What does "quite a character" mean.

(13 Posts)
Ziggitypop Sat 22-Oct-16 10:54:24

Ds is four, I've never had a complaint about his behaviour and although he tests boundaries at home he's generally speaking a lovely little boy.
Increasingly though I am getting comments (said with a smile) like "oh I know Peter, he's quite a character!!"
Is this a good thing or am I right in thinking it's teacher speak for naughty or hard work?

Witchend Sat 22-Oct-16 13:12:25

I'd tend to use it along the lines of "what a pickle"! So perhaps getting up to things you wouldn't have thought of banning because it wouldn't occur to you-but in a fairly endearing way. That goes with the testing boundaries.

user1476140278 Sat 22-Oct-16 13:12:48

No it can also mean a child with a strong personality in my experience. A child with opinions and who speaks out a lot. Is he like that?

Ziggitypop Sat 22-Oct-16 13:17:54

Yes definitely a strong confident character! grin

YvaineStormhold Sat 22-Oct-16 13:19:35

A funny, vocal, cute, engaging child.

Aw smile

hesterton Sat 22-Oct-16 13:22:04

Definitely a compliment. I love children who are right little characters. So much fun!

NeverTalksToStrangers Sat 22-Oct-16 13:25:30

My ds2 (5) is a character. It's just in his blood to be a bit of a rascal, funny, confident, full of chat etc.

But sometimes... HARD WORK.

MonkeyBrainsInPickle Sun 23-Oct-16 16:03:01

I'd say that about a child who has a fab little personality. I'd take it as a compliment.

Vetsandpets Sun 23-Oct-16 16:07:12

I would use it for a child who is cheeky in an engaging sort of way.

youarenotkiddingme Sun 23-Oct-16 16:10:47

I use it as a positive thing.

I have a character in my class - he can be harder work than some of the other students but none of them can be as engaging and make me laugh as much as he can.

uhoh2016 Sun 23-Oct-16 22:15:11

My ds was referred to as a character- he's not naughty or bad mannered at all (at least not in school anyway) in fact I think it's because he's very intelligent. I've always said he's wise beyond his years when he 1st started talking some of the the things he came out with were well beyond his age and understanding.
He was referred to as a character in school because he didn't fall for some of the "blagging " said to young children or he spoke wiser than his years which sometimes can be funny.
Take it as a compliment rather than a criticism

Wolfiefan Sun 23-Oct-16 22:19:44

Is he funny? I would say this as a teacher about a child who always made me smile. Trust me if it was code for badly behaved I doubt the thought would make the teacher smile! wink

CharminglyGawky Sun 23-Oct-16 22:45:22

I'd imagine a child who is hard work and cheeky but not naughty just either intelligent enough to see loopholes in rules or who just thinks problems through in a way that is slightly different to the norm so will surprise you with unexpected actions or answers.

These are normally the kids you remember with a smile even if you just meet them briefly in passing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now