Should my 2year old be In a bed yet?

(14 Posts)
user1468594353 Fri 21-Oct-16 22:44:15

My DS is 2and 3 months now and he's still in his cot. He moves around quite a bit when he's sleeping so I know I could get the bumpers. I bought a cot/bed so I wouldn't have to fork out on a bed, I will take the sides off and replace with bumpers but I have no idea when this transition should take place! Gosh I feel useless sometimes!

Igottastartthinkingbee Fri 21-Oct-16 22:48:50

My son was in his cot bed with the sides still on when he was 3! He didn't attempt to climb out ever, we took the sides off when he was beginning potty training so he'd be able to get out to go for a wee which still doesn't happen, he just shouts for me to take him for a wee in the night!

So if there's no reason to take the sides off just leave it. I never understand the hurry to get kids into a proper bed, 2 is so young still.

RoganJosh Fri 21-Oct-16 22:52:13

My 17 month old moved into a single bed quite happily. The next one was still in his cot (not even a cot bed) till after his third birthday. We lowered the side and put a step on the other side so he could get in and out and he was fine.
I think it's usual to move them around two, but it's up to you to work out what works best.

purpleme12 Sat 22-Oct-16 01:39:26

My little girl was in a cot til just before turning 3. You don't have to take him out

InsaneDame Sat 22-Oct-16 09:44:13

We moved ours at 2.4 years. He wasn't climbing out but he hardly had any space and was banging into the sides all night. We put him straight into a single and he sleeps so much better. We haven't had any issues woth getting out so far....... (It's been 2 months since we moved him).

Ilovenannyplum Sat 22-Oct-16 09:56:00

My DS is also 2 and 3 months and is still in the cot with sides, it hasn't even been dropped to the lowest setting blush
He's very tiny and a wimp so is too small and too scared to try and climb out.

We're moving in December and he'll be moved up to a built in bed we've had made for him. It's the same size as a small single but has a safety bar that I'll be keeping on for the time being.

Lesly0411 Sat 22-Oct-16 12:34:35

I think there should be no hurry in putting your child into single bed. As for me, my son 'migrated' when he was 4 just because he was too big for his cot by then. If he isn't climbing out, it's reasonable to wait.

babyboomersrock Sat 22-Oct-16 14:08:24

Toddlers always used to stay in cots until they were at least 3 - if your ds sleeps well in his cot bed, why risk disturbing things at this stage?

Cots are cosy for toddlers, especially during winter. I'd leave him where he is, while it's working.

Marshpillow Sat 22-Oct-16 14:13:29

We took the sides off DD's cotbed at around 17 months, only because I'm pregnant and was finding it difficult to lean over the side. She's a wriggler so we have got her a bed guard.
It's actually worked our quite well for us, as she was still being cuddled to sleep, but now the sides are off she's happier to fall asleep by herself as long as we're laid next to her (she's not a great sleeper, but we're getting there!)

Witchend Sat 22-Oct-16 21:49:29

He'll be fine. I only moved one of mine out before they were 2yo and that was because he was climbing out every night, so it was safer for him.

uhoh2016 Sat 22-Oct-16 22:03:49

If he sleeps well and doesn't or can't climb out the cot then leave him.
If it ain't broke don't try and fix it.

Nineteentothedozen Sat 22-Oct-16 22:07:07

My ds started sleeping through when we put him in a single bed with a bed guard and duvet/pillow at 2.5. We only did it because we lost the bag of fittings when we moved but so pleased we did!

CakeRattleandRoll Sun 23-Oct-16 16:44:06

DS moved into his big boy bed aged 3.3. Up till then he was in a cot with the sides up. He slept really well in it and never tried to climb out, so we were quite happy to leave him in it. We only moved him out because his little sister had grown out of her bassinet and needed the cot!

Artandco Sun 23-Oct-16 16:46:29

You will still have to buy a bed though surely regardless of whether he moves at 2,3, 4 years? So no cost saving buying a cot v cot bed as either way you buy a single.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now