Can puberty start at 8 in girls?

(7 Posts)
AnnetteD Fri 14-Oct-16 07:40:41

My 8 year old daughter started developing breasts a few months ago and I noticed some pubic hairs when she was in the bath last night. Is this normal? Should I warn her about periods? She is still such a little girl, I don't want her growing up so fast, it's disturbing me

DownWithThisSortaThing Fri 14-Oct-16 07:50:02

Yes they can. I know it's very young but it's not unheard of.
Definitely time to have a chat with her about periods and what to expect otherwise she will just be frightened when it starts. Buy some pads and explain how to use them etc.

DownWithThisSortaThing Fri 14-Oct-16 07:51:26

Sorry posted too soon. She might not start for another few months/years but it's best to have her prepared in case it does.

Rulerruler Fri 14-Oct-16 07:52:31

Yes it's possible. 8 sounds like the cusp of normal and too early though so a check with the doctor is probably wise. Therapy is available to halt puberty if the doctor thinks it's necessary.

dementedpixie Fri 14-Oct-16 07:54:07

8 is within the normal age to start. Precocious puberty is when it starts before age 8. Her periods may not start for some time yet though. And yes, speak to her about them soon/now.

dementedpixie Fri 14-Oct-16 07:56:07

www.nhs.uk/Livewell/puberty/Pages/puberty-signs.aspx puberty follows tanner stages. Sounds like your dd is in early puberty

Mysieveisbroken Fri 14-Oct-16 07:57:24

Yes. I did (30 odd years ago!) So has my dd, she then started her periods at 9, again same as me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now