Concerns about my 6 year old

(4 Posts)
Changedmymindagain Sat 01-Oct-16 23:50:03

Hi,

I am really worried about my 6 year old. He has no diagnosis of any kind, but his behaviours are really worrying me.

He has set routines for bed, has to have a book under his pillow, has to rearrange his belongings on the shelf, and must have a teddy.

He makes a grunting noise, often, without any regular pattern but appears to be doing this involuntarily.

He gets upset so easily. He is some what of a perfectionist and if he can't do something first time he throws a paddy, often walks out of the door and up the road.

He is a very talented little footballer. At times he adjusts his shin pads after every kick of the ball. Today he looked at his hands every couple of seconds. It was quite distressing to watch, other parents commented on it, and it really took him away from the game.

School have commented that he makes little noises, often humming but when asked about it 'snaps out of it' as if he didn't know he was doing it.

Is it worth a trip to the GP. He's such an anxious little boy. Won't stay upstairs or downstairs alone, panics if he thinks someone hasn't got a seat belt on in the car, etc.

I feel like I'm walking on egg shells to make him follow my instructions. If he's upset in the morning he won't let me do his hair, etc and it becomes such a battle. He won't wear a jumper, or a coat and has real issues with his socks.

Any advice? Thank you sad

Imfinehowareyou Sun 02-Oct-16 19:49:40

There's no harm in visiting your GP. My DD is 6 and has displayed some of the behaviours you have described but not all (the perfectionism, clothes issues and involuntary noises). She used to do OTT blinking then moved on to throat clearing/snorts. It has passed but I'm aware it might return. My point being that this could be typical behaviour. However, the set routines and rituals do sound different.

Is he worried about anything do you think?

ineedamoreadultieradult Sun 02-Oct-16 19:53:13

DS is 6 and has just got his CAMHS referral letter through. He was referred by GP as he has involuntary behaviours such as hair pulling, kicking his heel with his other foot, moving his head in a certain way. It would definitely be worth a trip to the GP and see what they say.

Armbags Sun 02-Oct-16 19:56:31

Hi Changed,
I just wanted to say hi as I'm going through similar myself with my 6 year old DS.
I just started a thread yesterday to get other people's perspective on things.
If other people and school are noticing these same things then it's obviously not just you.
Maybe he'll just grow out of them but if it's a concern and is getting worse I would go to the GP.
Good luck flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now