Not listening

(9 Posts)
Onawheel Tue 27-Sep-16 21:06:42

Ok, so I know that children often don't listen to anything that is asked of them but it is getting out of hand here.

Dc1 & dc3 listen to almost everything and are v good at sorting all their own stuff out (I know, I am v lucky).

However dc2 is in a world of his own. Seriously, he doesn't hear anything I ask of him. I have tried not shouting, explaining, getting his attention etc etc and I am now at my wits end and find myself lying on my bed and crying about how frustrating I find his not listening to anything.

Any tips? Please?

Believeitornot Tue 27-Sep-16 21:10:15

Age?

Onawheel Tue 27-Sep-16 22:38:34

Sorry should have said. He is 8 and a lovely, kind and loving boy in every other way. No SN. Behaves really well in school and is known for being a great listener in the classroom. I am truly at end of my tether at home though. sad

Mybeardeddragonjustdied2016 Tue 27-Sep-16 22:40:55

Lists!
Ds just about 8 is never happier than when he has a list of 'jobs' to get through!

Onawheel Tue 27-Sep-16 22:52:39

Good call. Will give that a go. What about routine stuff though...like wash your face/brush your teeth??

Believeitornot Wed 28-Sep-16 06:41:59

Maybe as the middle child it's his way of getting attention?

abeandhalo Wed 28-Sep-16 06:57:39

It's unlikely but have you got his hearing checked? Friends of my parents were at their wits end with their kid who wouldn't listen, then one day my parents were with them at the zoo & the kid ran off & didn't stop when they shouted & mum realised he clearly couldn't hear them when they were far away & behind him!

He might be OK in a classroom situation b/c it's face-to-face.

Onawheel Wed 28-Sep-16 07:34:01

Hearing has been checked - only because my nephew did have that problem.

It could be an attention thing but i do try and be careful not to make him the middle child. I think it's because he just doesn't have the same priorities.

He doesn't care that his teeth aren't brushed. He cares that his Lego is finished.

I just don't know how to get through to him.

I am trying the list thing today.

Thanks for replies so far.

Onawheel Wed 28-Sep-16 11:56:25

Daytime bump

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now