Not sure if this is a good thing or bad...

(8 Posts)
ShinyDiscoBalls Mon 26-Sep-16 21:43:23

My 7 month old DS doesn't really have anything to help him go to sleep. I know lots of babies who have dummies, favourite teddies, blankets etc, but my DS doesn't tend to have anything.

He is BF so does sometimes fall asleep whilst feeding but not always. I don't know if it is a good thing that he doesn't necessarily need something to fall asleep with, or if these type of things are a good idea for when kids get older to help them self settle? Should I encourage him to find something?

Any advice anyone?

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Mon 26-Sep-16 21:51:11

It's a good thing!
No toys to get lost, or refusing to let them go in the washing machine.
No crying in the night because a dummy has fallen out.
No weaning off of dummies.

GoBigOrange Tue 27-Sep-16 06:29:23

Definitely not a bad thing. If he settles fine without something then long may it continue.

If you do want him to have a bedtime comfort item then I would say it is most important to try to steer him towards something easily replaceable if it gets worn out or lost.

My 14 month old son won't take a dummy and isn't interested in taking soft toys to bed. But he loves his security blanket (we've got six the same) and goes to sleep more readily when he's got it.

This is it:

www.amazon.co.uk/Lulujo-Muslin-Security-Blanket-Dreamland/dp/B012WD9TE0/ref=pd_sim_75_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=5Z6FPSQN9829FQM9AQRQ

phillipp Tue 27-Sep-16 06:46:24

Its a good thing. My ds always went to bed well. Since he was one he has had a curious George teddy. We bought it in the US and you couldn't get it here. He adores it. Which means we constantly stressed about losing it.

If he went to my parents they stressed about him losing it. He is now 5 and still has it and takes it everywhere. It became available on Amazon so I got one and put it away as a spare.

He isn't really attached to anything else, just that. He took it to school for the teddy bears picnic. I was honestly stressed all day.

Wish dh had never bloody bought it now grin

BrieAndChilli Tue 27-Sep-16 06:51:07

Even if he doesn't have something now he may well become attached to something in the future.
None of mine had a comfort item until they were about 18 months.
DS1 has a big adult sized stripey fleece blanket that he takes around the house with him.
DD has a soft bodied doll she got for her 1st birthday
DS2 had a little cloud baby toy that he had to have every night for about 18 months then suddenly didn't care about anymore. He chops and changes so has a different favourite comfort toy for bed every few weeks,

BertieBotts Tue 27-Sep-16 06:53:58

It doesn't matter either way.

DS never had one,not even his thumb. Apparently it's quite common if you breastfeed on demand.

ShinyDiscoBalls Tue 27-Sep-16 09:32:23

Thanks everyone!

He's got quite a few nice teddies and blankets but doesn't seem attached to them or anything, but I suppose this might change as he gets older. The only thing is is attached to is his boobie so just means I can't disappear anywhere grin

BrieAndChilli Tue 27-Sep-16 09:55:27

bertiebotts that makes sense, I breastfed in demand until 12-14 months with each of mine and it wasn't until after this that all of mine developed a comfort thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now