Anxiety in 9yo - and emetophobia - help please

(4 Posts)
CocktailQueen Mon 26-Sep-16 11:11:37

Can anyone advise? DS is 9 and has just started a new school. He says he's happy there and is enjoying it, but is very anxious and clingy in the evenings. Do you think this is just related to starting the new school? It's normal, right?

He's also very worried about catching a sick bug - there's a bad one going round his class, and he has a real fear of being sick. What's the best way of reassuring him/helping him with his anxiety?

gemsparkle84 Wed 28-Sep-16 13:37:07

I'm 32 and suffer horrendous anxiety and OCD. I'm no expert but I think the best approach for me would be to say that if he is washing his hands once after using the toilet and before he eats then there is no reason why he would catch the sickness bug. But to also explain that if he does it is completely normal, it won't be nice for a few days but he can get lots of cuddles off Mummy with a treat when he's better and sickness is nothing to be afraid of.

Katastrophe13 Wed 28-Sep-16 17:46:34

Hi there, I am emotephobic and really he should be reassured as pp said, that if he does get it wont be nice, but it will be over quickly and then he will be better. It's not a nice feeling, but it's just a feeling and it will come and it will go again, life will carry on afterwards. The fear of being sick is so much worse than actually being sick. I know this having wasted years of my life feeling scared and have only ever been sick a few times in my life. I remind myself of this whenever the fear creeps in. Worrying won't stop it happening and is a waste of time. Easier said than done but true. I've had CBT which helped quite a bit. Have you looked into getting professional help for your Son? I recommend you consider it, as it's a phobia that can really control your life and become quite crippling. Don't won't to scare you, but it could make a big difference to him.

Nowwhatisit Wed 28-Sep-16 19:33:59

My son had a similar thing at a similar age, we found the book ' what to do when you worry too much' was useful.
As well as maybe trying to reduce the stress of other things in his life- playdates to ease him into new school etc?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now