My two year old just smacked me round the head...

(9 Posts)
Torfhinn Fri 23-Sep-16 18:14:55

He wanted toast, I gave him toast. He threw the toast, I took the toast away. He shouted in my face for his toast and then smacked me round the head. Hard. I feel quiet shocked. Is this normal?

ItchyFoot Fri 23-Sep-16 18:17:38

Completely normal. Yesterday my dd chucked a lego bear at me. When I told her off I told her if she did it again I'd turn frozen off. So she hit my leg. She sharp apologised when Elsa went away.

WhatWouldCoachBombayDo Fri 23-Sep-16 18:17:42

Yes, they don't know how to manage frustration and anger. That's where you step in to show them how to behave.

My 2 year old likes to hit when frustrated, I time out and explain very succinctly . That's naughty, it hurts me, time out.

We're getting there, slowly.

mycatstares Fri 23-Sep-16 18:18:04

Sounds normal to me. The attitude should pass in the next 2 years or so..

TeaBelle Fri 23-Sep-16 18:18:21

Yes - he has no idea that it hurts, just an impulsive toddler reaction. It's how you choose to deal with it. Hope it didn't hurt too much

FATEdestiny Fri 23-Sep-16 18:21:12

I wouldn't have taken the toast away.

Torfhinn Fri 23-Sep-16 18:32:43

Thanks for the responses, it's good to know his behaviour is normal. He's currently curled up next to me watching cartoons.

For what it's worth Fate, he knows not too throw food. I'm certainly not going to pick it up after him and hand it back, but that may be the right option for some.

FATEdestiny Fri 23-Sep-16 18:50:18

I wouldn't have handed it back to him either.

Glad it's all over now for you.

MumiTravels Fri 23-Sep-16 18:57:48

My toddler bit my breast this evening. I gave him a stern no and told him that he hurt Mummy. He knew he had done wrong as he wouldn't look me in the eye after and gave me a cuddle.

It's okay if these lessons happen at home but I hope he wouldn't bite his nursery nurse or peers.

I don't give back food once it's been thrown out of frustration either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now