Bath time meltdowns.

(10 Posts)
Jojo13 Thu 22-Sep-16 19:29:54

All of a sudden, my 18 month old has just started having absolute meltdowns at bath time.. Any suggestions?!
He's always loved bath time, loves the water but for the past week or so he has just had total meltdowns when you put him in.
Haven't changed anything at all about his routine or the bath itself, I can't fathom it?!!!

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Thu 22-Sep-16 19:31:53

Dd2 did this at 13 months when she was walking confidently, she was so knackered from being on the go all the time that by the time she was getting a bath she was overtired and past it. I've brought bath and bed forward and it's been much better. Could it be something similar?

Hufflepuffin Thu 22-Sep-16 19:36:29

My dd went off baths around that age, we stopped doing them every night (better for her sensitive skin too) and did morning baths with mummy for a while. Happier in the bath again now - as long as it's full of bubbles! But we still don't do it every day.

Jojo13 Thu 22-Sep-16 20:22:52

Thanks, glad to know it's normal..! He has only recently started walking on his own and has really taken off this last week so it may be that. (I assumed he would show signs of tiredness prior to bath time but maybe not) He has been having two hour naps in the afternoon too so thought that would help with the extra tiredness walking brings. Will bring bath time forward tomorrow and see how we go.
Thanks for your advice both!

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Fri 23-Sep-16 18:06:18

Hope bathtime is less stressful tonight!

Jojo13 Fri 23-Sep-16 18:51:41

I bought it forward by about half an hour, he was stood watching me run it and was absolutely fine, throwing toys in etc, then as soon as I doubt him in, he cried. (Almost as if he suddenly doesn't like water or something) However, lots of fuss and playing with toys he soon calmed down tonight and was fine.
Thanks lots

Jojo13 Mon 26-Sep-16 18:53:50

Anymore advice?! This is awful. Earlier in the bath tonight to make sure he wasn't too tired and just screamed his heart out..?! As soon as I put him on. Just bent over double and absolutely broke his heart.
So annoying as he usually loves bath time so much.
He had a shower with me last night (but isn't always practical) to break it up a bit but tonight was horrendous.
Help! Thanks x

BusStopBetty Mon 26-Sep-16 18:57:36

Will he tolerate a shower on his own? Obviously I don't mean wash himself, although that would be good, but will he go in the shower without you?

Mybeardeddragonjustdied2016 Mon 26-Sep-16 19:03:05

Put some plastic pots/boats in the bath with a few cheerios in!!

Jojo13 Mon 26-Sep-16 19:32:22

Ha! Yes food is probably a sure fire way of getting him to ssshhhh!
Not sure about the shower, will give it a go, he's never particularly liked showers anyway, even with me, but worth a try.
It's just so odd to me how he has gone from happily spending half hour in the bath every day with all his toys to absolutely screaming and being so distressed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now