10 month old banging head

(7 Posts)
cookiefiend Tue 20-Sep-16 15:11:14

DD2 seems otherwise well, crusing furniture, crawling at speed using several words (mummy, daddy, hiya, duck, look) and various signs so seems developmentally to be hitting targets I think. However in the last month or so she has started banging her head off things if she is frustrated- particularly something is taken off her.

Several times she has given herself a bruise and she just gave herself a bloody nose. DD1 was nothing like this- is it normal or should I be concerned? How can I deal with it- she is too young to reason with really. Anyone have experience of this?

Thanks.

cookiefiend Tue 20-Sep-16 20:15:03

Anyone?

squeak10 Tue 20-Sep-16 20:21:05

My ds used to rub his head along the floor. Took a few years and ear infections for him to get diagnosed with glue ear. Had grommets fitted and hasn't had any problems. Probably doesn't help cookiefiend but hope a answer helps xx

Gymnopedies Tue 20-Sep-16 20:24:36

Do you mean she throws herself forward or backward or give herself a knock with whatever she is holding? If so, yes, DD just started doing that (8 month) and DS used to do the same. Their brain isn't mature enough, they can't control themselves when they are upset.

Gymnopedies Tue 20-Sep-16 20:27:29

Sorry forgot about the part about dealing with it, I just put my hand to protect their head, hold them and put them down safely if/when appropriate.

GoodLuckTime Tue 20-Sep-16 20:36:30

DD (now three) would do this if upset and unable to cope. Can't remember how old she started, but possibly about that age. She will still do it now if very upset especially if compunded by being over tired / hungry.

When she was little yes I gently intervened to stop her hurting herself. Now she often doesn't want that so I try to make sure she is somewhere safe (even on carpet not a hard floor, she will get down and bang her head), but that's not always possible. I will say gently gently and suggest other ways to express her emotion (shouting, hitting a cushion) Thiugh she's still a bit young for that.

The approach to dealing with tantrums from the book Calm Parents, Happy Kids (and the website Ahaparenting.com really suited her. Basically you articulate the emtions they are having for them, by describing them without judgement or instruction but with acceptance.

DD has big feelings but is well able to express and process them for a three year old which I put down to using that approach.

cookiefiend Tue 20-Sep-16 21:07:20

Glad to hear it's not just her. Gymno yes she throws herself forward and bangs her head off the floor with quite a bit of force. I don't renenber DD1 doing anything like that this young, but then I guess being second is much more frustrating.

Hmm thanks- goodluck I have had a similar approach with DD1- just seems harder with such a young child, but I will persevere. Thanks all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now