Should a 4 yr old dress themselves

(12 Posts)
Bjjth8983 Mon 19-Sep-16 16:59:40

My ds was 4 in July, he see's a nursery nurse (for other issues), she has said that he should be able to fully dress himself by now as he started school sept, the problem is he hates wearing clothes ( runs around naked in the house) and has no interest in even trying to get dressed, we have a battle every morning, my other children were not like this, should all 4 yr olds dress themselves?

ineedamoreadultieradult Mon 19-Sep-16 17:02:15

4 year olds without any other issues should be able to dress themselves. If the do/will is another matter.

Cheerybigbottom Mon 19-Sep-16 17:10:38

Yeah they should be able to pull clothes on/off. Buttons are a bit hard for my four year old but he's got zips ok.

Honestly though it's a timed battle for it and some mornings I yank his clothes over his head and put his socks on so we get out the door on time.

ManicPixieDream Mon 19-Sep-16 17:13:45

Mine turned 4 in Aug and he struggles at home. He has so far managed ok on PE day at school. He also prefers to be naked at home. No diagnosed sensory issues etc.

AndNowItsSeven Mon 19-Sep-16 17:14:46

Not all just turned four year olds no.

Wooftweetwooftweet Mon 19-Sep-16 19:43:17

Our five year old is only really starting getting fully dressed himself now. Socks are the trickiest part. Last year he wouldn't have managed everything.

My almost 4 year olds can dress themselves apart from tights, buttons etc. I end up dressing them most days though as there is always a meltdown from one of tgem about something or the other.

BaronessEllaSaturday Mon 19-Sep-16 20:31:28

mine is capable of doing it but I don't fancy waking her up early enough to do it every morning as she takes forever so it's team work here.

bummedmummy Tue 20-Sep-16 06:41:28

My just turned 4 year old can't dress himself. I'm convinced that this is because he totally lacks motivation to do so - he likes to be naked at home and prefers staying in to going out, so I always end up doing it just to get him out the door. Hopefully school will give him a bit of a push!

MiaowTheCat Tue 20-Sep-16 16:51:18

My 4 year old can - but showed no inclination to try for a long while. She struggles getting her t-shirt off over her head but can do the rest of it which I'm happy enough with.

My 3 year old however should have "NO I DO IT" tattooed on her head - she's one of those kids who is determined to do it herself even though her abilities don't quite match up with her aspirations and pants on head isn't a good look.

twirlypoo Tue 20-Sep-16 17:05:11

My 4 year old can if he wants to (and I am not anal about things being the right way round) But he doesn't often want to is the issue..... plus he's slooooooow...... so we also go for a mixture of teamwork, cajoling and begging.

katienana Tue 20-Sep-16 17:22:46

Ds is 4 in 2 weeks and can put on pants, t shirt joggers but I need to talk him through the whole thing. I do a sports commentator while he does it and that seems to encourage him. He can't do socks, I can't wait till he can do it himself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now