Sores at sides of baby mouth

(12 Posts)
Pinklemonade16 Tue 13-Sep-16 11:32:52

Hi ladies was just wondering whether this is normal or shall I be worried? Just noticed my 6month old has like red sores on the corners of each side of her mouth. She is teething wondering whether it's something to do with that? Advice please

BummyMummy77 Tue 13-Sep-16 11:45:28

They look like cold sores to me. I may be wrong but I'd take her to a doctor to check ASAP.

BummyMummy77 Tue 13-Sep-16 11:50:10

I hope I'm wrong. How old is your dd? Here they'd want to check her mouth and throat also as younger babies can get quite sick from them.

Also, if it's that it can be easily transmitted to babies eyes so extra vigilant hygiene is very important.

Not meaning to freak you out but ds got one when he was young and it was more of a concern than I'd previously thought.

BummyMummy77 Tue 13-Sep-16 11:51:22

Sorry, she's 6 months I see. Then even if they are coldsores it's not as dangerous as if she were younger. I'd still take her in to get her mouth and throat checked though.

JLoTheAstra Tue 13-Sep-16 12:10:49

Looks like angular chelitis to me. My DS had it around the same age - it's brought on by all the dribbling. Nothing to worry about and generally disappears in its own after a few days

minipie Tue 13-Sep-16 12:46:16

Watching. DD age nearly 4 years has this at the moment. She does dribble a lot. I don't think it's cold sores, doesn't look like a cold sore and I can't think where she'd have caught the virus.

Off to google angular chelitis.

BummyMummy77 Tue 13-Sep-16 12:48:47

Really jlo?! Ds's looked exactly like these and his Ped had me so scared and guilt ridden thinking they were cold sores. angry

I thought it was weird he got both at exactly the same time and hasn't had a sign of one since.

ijustwannadance Tue 13-Sep-16 12:53:05

Dribble rash?

Do you wipe her mouth/face with baby wipes? If yes then stop and use a cloth with water only and see if it helps.

INeedNewShoes Tue 13-Sep-16 13:52:54

Have you started weaning yet?

I ask because when I was a child I constantly had damaged skin in the corners of my mouth from eating foods I was intolerant to. This continued until I was a teenager and finally realised that soya was causing it. Since stopping eating soya it has completely disappeared.

I can't see the photo well, but if there is any chance they could be cold sores you ought to have her seen by the doctor.

CurlsLDN Tue 13-Sep-16 13:56:19

I also thought angular cheilitis, my ds had it at a similar age and the gp gave me some (edible) cream to put on it to help heal it up. Must be sore for them.

I agree it doesn't look like coldsores to me

Pinklemonade16 Tue 13-Sep-16 15:12:11

Ok think I will take her to get checked tomorrow. She seems fine in herself. And yes we have started weaning

FuzzyOwl Tue 13-Sep-16 15:25:55

I suffer from angular cheilitis and the doctor prescribes a steroid ointment for me and it goes after a few days. Mine is usually caused by a vitamin deficiency.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now