My 2+ yo cries everyday when I pick her up from school

(13 Posts)
Shakara1 Wed 07-Sep-16 21:05:25

Please help. For almost 3weeks now, my daughter has these crying tantrums each time I go pick her up from school and when she arrives home.
She doesn't cry or make a squeezed face when we are in the car journey home. She starts crying as soon as I turn off the ignition and it's time to go into the house.
I have tried everything from bribing, to singing, to talking to her about being a good girl, to ignoring, to sending her to her room or her time-out corner.
What can I do?

Sootica Wed 07-Sep-16 21:08:56

Is she at a private school nursery at 2? How many hours / days does she do?

Shakara1 Fri 09-Sep-16 10:37:17

Hi Sootica,
Yes she is in a private school. She starts at 9am and closes at 4pm daily; 5days a week.

DanielCraigsUnderpants Fri 09-Sep-16 10:44:24

How good is her communication? Does she tell you whats up? or verbalize anything?

DanielCraigsUnderpants Fri 09-Sep-16 10:44:49

and did anything unusual happen those three or so weeks ago?

CanandWill Fri 09-Sep-16 10:47:00

She is probably over tired/over stimulated. Does she have a nap at school? Can you reduce her hours?

Shakara1 Sat 10-Sep-16 06:54:44

First she says no and cries not wanting to leave school. Then doesn't respond when I ask what's wrong.

Shakara1 Sat 10-Sep-16 06:56:59

She takes a nap at school however her sleeping hours, I noticed have changed cos other kids in her new class sleep at a different time from kids in her former class.
I will try picking her up at 2pm and see if there will be any changes.

Shakara1 Sat 10-Sep-16 06:57:09

Thank you everyone

velorbi Sat 10-Sep-16 14:07:49

these seem appropriate articles I read recently, they might help:

attachmentparenting.co.uk/supporting-children-with-separation-at-school/

www.ahaparenting.com/parenting-tools/connection/staying-connected

Zippidydoodah Sun 11-Sep-16 22:33:13

Why is she there for so many hours? Do you work? I'm not being judgy (honest!) but it sounds like it's too much for her at such a young age.

Zippidydoodah Sun 11-Sep-16 22:34:09

Maybe she could have a childminder if you do work, in whose home she can rest and not be as stimulated as she is at nursery school.

proudmummyoftwo Sun 11-Sep-16 22:37:41

Might she just be having fun at nursery? My DD used to cry when I picked her up. Turned out she was enjoying her painting/sand play/ mud play too much and didn't want to leave! I made a fun treat at home for her on her return (if she behaved coming home). This worked well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now