Shouting - alternative please!

(1 Post)
MrsRobinson79 Wed 31-Aug-16 19:57:59

Have seen there is a thread about this lower down but I just wondered if anyone had any ideas about how they would deal with this situation. My almost 5 yr dd is lovely most of the time but can be extremely stubborn at times. I try not to shout and do consequences etc but when she is in the mood nothing I say works. Eg tonight after dinner she had bits of her yoghurt wrapper all over the table. She asked for a warm drink and as I was getting it I asked in a nice way to put her wrappers in the bin. She just said no, you do it. In a not very nice tone. I asked her nicely again to help me out. She said no. I asked if the fairy would do it (sometimes this gets her to tidy up). She said no again. So I gave her a count of 3 seconds to do it or I would pour her drink away. Still nothing so I poured her drink away and then she had an almighty tantrum. I ignored this and took other dd for her bath. She then comes up to the bathroom screaming and spitting etc so I closed the door and said she could come in when she had calmed down. She's still screaming and kicking the door. So I put her in her room- but she just comes out again. Until I really really shouted at her then she stayed in her room and eventually calmed down then she's all loving again.

Felt awful afterwards but unless I really shout at her she will not stay in her room for time out and the whole ignoring thing was not working. I though she was going to damage the door she was kicking it so much.

Sorry it's so long. I really don't know how else I can deal with her when I've already tried lots of things and it ends up being the only thing she responds to. Any ideas??!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now