21 month old - deliberately testing me!

(4 Posts)
likeaboss Fri 26-Aug-16 10:44:36

Any tips on the best way to deal with this?

It's taken 21 months but DD has finally cottoned on to the word "no" grin

She's not bothered about putting things in her mouth anymore, except now she's realised that she can deliberately provoke us by putting something in her mouth and shouting "no!" at the same time! Obviously because we've previously said no when she's done something similar.

So far I've been telling her to stop what she's doing (one warning), and then simply taking the item off her with no other reaction if she continues.

Do you think this is the best way to deal with it? I'm hoping that, by not giving her the reaction she wants (whilst confiscating the item), she'll get bored and stop eventually!

SpeakNoWords Fri 26-Aug-16 12:04:16

What sort of things is she putting in her mouth? I wouldn't focus to much on it, I wouldn't bother with a warning, I'd just take it away quietly if it isn't suitable to be in her mouth whilst saying something simple like "x doesn't go in your mouth" or "x isn't for chewing", and then move on.

likeaboss Fri 26-Aug-16 12:13:17

Thanks for your reply, Speak. It can be anything, at the moment it's fridge magnets!

I agree, think I'll just take the thing off her with no fuss!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 26-Aug-16 12:14:38

Just move the magnets up high,i wouldn't waste time saying no about things like that or it turns into a game - as you've found outgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now