Dummy problems

(8 Posts)
Harpersqueenx Sun 21-Aug-16 19:57:05

Wouldn't say it's much of a problem but my little girl who's almost 2 still has her dummy and night and threw the day. I'm dreading it when it's time to take it away but when is the right time and how would you suggest doing this? Thanx xx

DoodleCat Sun 21-Aug-16 19:59:36

We (honestly) forgot my son's at my in laws and drove home why without any and he accepted it. He was 3 though. We just let him decide it was okay. Same with not wearing a nappy. Just my experience though.

Shootingstar2289 Mon 22-Aug-16 06:23:35

My son was three. He loved it I dreaded the time we had to take it away. However, it was him that decided he didn't want it anymore. He stared biting on it rather than sucking and didn't seem as interested so I binned them all and he never looked for once. smile

campervan07 Mon 22-Aug-16 06:32:40

My ds used one for sleeping only and to calm him down when having a tantrum at 2 still. I was really nervous about taking it off him but he had started to bite them and find them for himself in the day so increasing dummy use not reducing it. In the end, we just stopped buying new ones and binning them whenever he bit a hole in them. Also lots of discussing how big boys don't need dummies. He told us he had thrown away his last dummy himself and was just fine which completely surprised me. Started asking for it a week later but got over it quickly when we said no.

To be honest, I think i made too big a deal if it and should have just told him we were taking them away as he was big enough to not need them and then just done it.

If your dc uses it all day too though perhaps you could cut it down to naps / sleeps initially and see how they handle it?

confusedandemployed Mon 22-Aug-16 06:36:43

DD has just given hers up at 3.5yo. She only ever had it at night.
Tbh I wasn't too bothered as it was a nighttime thing and we just waited until she lost the last one and didn't replace. She protested a bit half-heartedly but wasn't that bothered.
I'd start by cutting down to night time only. At 2yo she should be able to respond to reward systems and understand that dummies are for bedtime only now she's a big girl.
Good luck: I was dreading removing the dummy but like everything about this parenting lark, it wasn't so bad!

Rosa Mon 22-Aug-16 06:37:03

Wwe tried at 2 and gave up as she wasn't ready. But we used it at naps and at night and then when really upset. It wasn't allowed out at home during play etc. we tried leaving it for Father Christmas ( cue fear of the big man) giving it to other babies, - not a chance. Then a week before her 4th birthday she decided there and then enough. She asked me to keep one special one . BTW she has perfect teeth and is bilingual .

strawberrybubblegum Mon 22-Aug-16 07:28:22

Worth trying to reduce it now to sleeping, car and maybe when she's very upset/ill. Speaking really takes off at about 2 and having the dummy during the day might affect that.

Night-time you can wait until 3/4 or whenever she's ready.

If you bite the bullet and act very sure that this is how it is, it's honestly not as bad as you would expect!

Harpersqueenx Mon 22-Aug-16 09:08:37

Well that's that then. Thankyou all for you comments, she's almost 2 but might start today to see if I can reduce the dummy. Just letting her have it when she sleeps etc and gradually take it away. Xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now