1yr DS getting out of control

(3 Posts)
MumToBe2015R Fri 19-Aug-16 21:49:42

This has all started since he started walking at 11m

He's climbing on sofas, chairs, vtech scooter! He climbs then falls at times. I'm getting frustrated because I can't be there with him 24/7. Few days ago he managed to climb out of the highchair & fall down, few hours later fell backwards off the sofa.... So what to do....

His temper is getting worse. When me or DH tell him off or say NO he throws his toy at us, screams at us, or bites!!!

What to do???

Is this all normal?

GoBigOrange Sat 20-Aug-16 00:56:41

I have a son and a nephew, and both of them will be 13 months old next week. They are both avid climbers and have the bruises to prove it. They also react with fury when told not to do something, and the toy-flinging and screeching is familiar. We haven't had any biting yet, but that is the only difference. So sounds like it isn't unusual behavior for the age!

catkind Sat 20-Aug-16 01:13:45

At that age they do need supervising any time they're awake pretty much. They have no sense and are not predictable. Strap into high chair. Try to avoid "no"s where possible and give positive alternatives. Try to physically prevent things if you can, e.g. if you don't want him on the stairs close the stair gate. Teach him how to safely climb on and off sofas, beds, stairs then when he wants to climb you can direct him towards things he can do safely.
When you have to say no, don't bother about the telling off, he won't get it at 1, just a quick no and distract. Take him to a different room if necessary. Expect to do a lot of this if he's e.g. after climbing bookcases. You have more patience than a 1 yr old, he'll get it in the end.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now