NOT SLEEPING through !

(7 Posts)
Cathaka15 Fri 19-Aug-16 08:20:56

I have a dd 16 month old who I would say is very active. She hasn't slept through since she was born. She's my my fourth so i thought I would have this slapping issues sorted by now. But serously i have absolutely no idea what to do anymore. I have tried all the methods under the sun.
Her bed time is 6.30. Is this too early ?
My SIL and MIL keep saying I'm putting her to bed too early that's why she's getting up so many times at night. But i have tried making bed time a little later. But she still gets up. I had this whole routine going. Bath book milk sleep. It worked for a week but then started her constant crying and screaming and waking up 3-4 times a night again.

DollyBarton Fri 19-Aug-16 08:26:23

Own room is my first advice. If she's in her own room, don't pick up too quickly when she naturally wakes and cries with her sleep cycles. It's not CIO but they truly need to be left to resettle themselves the majority of the time. Occasionally it's a different cry and they really want/need you but if it's just a sleep cycle they will stop within 5 mins.

Try it if you haven't already.

DollyBarton Fri 19-Aug-16 08:29:46

I don't think 6.30 is too early by the way if she seems tired. But maybe 7 is a better time? Spend the extra 30mins reading to her etc. Then at 7 into cot and walk out like its the most normal thing ever. She'll probably kick up but make sure you act surprised that she has a problem with the situation, they really do understand a lot. Sure you have 3 others! You know all this. Sorry.

Cathaka15 Fri 19-Aug-16 18:27:51

Will try to stretch to 7.30 and see.

Nemmaline Sat 20-Aug-16 12:57:48

How did the later bedtime go?

Is your DD in a cot? We had a very similar situation which was fixed with sleeping on a single mattress (on the floor in their room) and a much later bedtime (between 8pm and 9pm)

Cathaka15 Sat 20-Aug-16 20:29:40

No joy. Still up 2-3 times. She's in her cot but she's in our room. We're having an extension done at the moment so won't be able to move just yet. I've kept her up late today. Let see how 9 o'clock will help.

skankingpiglet Sat 20-Aug-16 22:30:06

I think you might need to suffer for a bit longer until you can get her into her own room too. Perhaps start bribing your builders with their favourite biscuits to hurry up and finish... Once in her own room, I'd try her in a toddler bed.

DD1 was 16mo when she finally slept through for the first time. She was already in her own room but it was the change to a bed with a duvet that finally solved the issue. I think in hindsight she didn't like being contained in a grobag, she likes to spread out and regulate her temperature by sticking out a leg or two.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now