Coping with a screaming toddler

(5 Posts)
ForTheLoveOfGrace Thu 18-Aug-16 12:50:16

That's it really my DD 20 month old is a screamer if she doesn't get her own way often she has a full on screaming session it doesn't last long but it's really starting to get me down. I distract, explain why I'm saying no etc, talk quietly so she has to stop to hear what I say I never reinforce bad behaviour by giving her snacks when she screams i.e shopping trips & always try to keep things fun but still knowing no means no but I'm wondering if any of you have anymore tips I know she'll grow out of it eventually she's high spirited, energetic, loving & a very funny little being but she's wearing me out sad

joannec81 Mon 22-Aug-16 14:49:33

I completely understand what your going through. My 2.5 year old is exactly the same. If she doesn't get her own way she will scream at the top of her lungs or she will start throwing things at me. I've tried talking to her quietly and at her level. I've tried the whole sit her down for 2 mins to calm her down, but nothing works. It does really get you down, so like I said, I know exactly how you feel

DorotheaHomeAlone Mon 22-Aug-16 15:09:51

I wore myself out trying to reassure/soothe/threaten/distract my little tantrummer. It just made her worse and made me angry and upset too. Now I just ignore her for a couple of minutes then talk to her about something else or explain again if there's some important lesson (roads/hot things etc). Never look cross, never soothe just act like it hasn't happened. Works 90% of the time. Sometimes have to sit out a longer one but not often.

CookieTramp Mon 22-Aug-16 15:10:33

I feel your pain. My 2.5yo is killing me, one high-pitched shriek at a time. I am trying to work on it by telling him to use his words, and when he uses his words we try to give him what he wants immediately, if it is at all reasonable. Getting my 7yo to do the same is tricky, but he is trying to help it along too. If he screams, we turn our backs, but if he asks/tells us, we listen immediately. Will let you know if it works!

It is noise torture, all day long, every couple of minutes, and over the most tiny, insignificant things. Will be reading other suggestions with interest.

ForTheLoveOfGrace Thu 25-Aug-16 21:40:20

Ahh thanks so much for replying. I totally agree with the ignore thing when appropriate we have done so & got interested in something else & it seems to have worked a lot but my god we are getting stretched to our limit with DD at the mo. We are away with friends & they are so understanding but it's been a tough week it's there holiday too & she's being a real handful. All I keep saying is this too shall pass sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now