Hands in mouth

(7 Posts)
user1470080705 Tue 16-Aug-16 00:45:08

Help I have a new born will not settle at night just had a full feed but still keeps putting their hands in their mouth, have also winded but is still putting hands I mouth

dementedpixie Tue 16-Aug-16 11:52:25

Maybe they like the feeling of sucking their hands. Would they take a dummy!

suspiciousofgoldfish Tue 16-Aug-16 13:39:23

The first thing I would do is make absolutely sure they are not still hungry. (Mine ate way more than the amount of recommended milk according to guidelines).

My DD (2m) still does this whenever she is tired or uncomfortable. So, if it's not wind/reflux, I would just let her chew away until she settles.

Dummy as pp above said might work. Mine just spat them out.

IME it's just a comfort thing. I find it useful as it tells me when DD needs a nap smile

user1470080705 Wed 17-Aug-16 06:47:29

Thanks for responding I am a new mum and feeling overwhelmed we may try a dummy and just feed on demand rather than waiting for the three hours as hospital suggested

lovelyredwine Wed 17-Aug-16 06:50:24

They may end up being a thumb or finger sucker. Both my dds did this and both started thumb sucking by 10 weeks. Dd1 is 5 and still sucks her thumb to go to sleep, when hungry or tired. Perhaps introduce a dummy to see if your baby just likes to suck.

BibbidiBobbidi Wed 17-Aug-16 06:56:24

My DD sucks her hands too (and anything else she can get her hands on!)

I agree with double checking she's not still hungry and feeding on demand. I was doing what you were doing and waiting for the three hours and it made us both miserable. She's formula fed and instead of drinking the same amount as other babies do in one sitting she spaces it out over a couple of hours. She's 4 months now and we're both much happier than we were before.

With the sucking she wouldn't take a dummy but does love to chomp on a comfort blanket instead so that might be worth a try too. Especially when she's tired.

piesoclock Sat 20-Aug-16 21:19:35

Def feed on denand. Unless there's a medical reason to space out feedings ( I have no idea what that would be) then current, best practice advice is to feed on demand. Babies have different appetites, just like adults, and will ask for feeds whenever hungry, and not to a schedule.
If you are breastfeeding it is important to feed on demand to get your supply up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now