Crying 11 year old

(3 Posts)
user1470721050 Wed 10-Aug-16 09:24:28

Does anyone have any advice on how to handle DD 11 year old who gets really hysterically tearful at night and can't sleep and wants to be near us/me. Perfectly cheerful in day but big school coming up in September +. Puberty round corner.

If she was a baby I guess we would either have her in bed or let her cry it out but a) there isn't room in bed and b) seems inhumane (though I just get cross not sympathetic when she cries so at least it would save some late night hissed vitriol from me).

So, any advice gratefully received please so I can sleep. Ideally so she doesn't need to cry but mostly so I can sleep wink

(PS we have a clear routine/no electronics/story before bed/ milky drink etc. So basics are covered)

Thankyou!!

MyCatIsABiggerBastardThanYours Wed 10-Aug-16 09:28:51

I completely understand who you get cross (I am a demon when I don't get sleep or am woken) but in this case it may be that she needs reassurance so lots of cuddles, throughout the day as well. Make her feel safe all day long. You will find that may well help at night time too.

Good luck

user1470721050 Wed 10-Aug-16 09:34:11

Thankyou, I am trying to be extra nice in day - especially when she does manage to get to sleep by self. I would say at moment we have lovely days but resentful nights. I started with nice nights too but recently it's wearing a bit thin! It's been about 2 weeks now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now