Sensory processing disorder

(9 Posts)
HumberLass Tue 02-Aug-16 02:47:34

Anyone have any experience with this?
OT thinks my 5 yo son has it
Ive been reading about it but would be helpful to hear from anyone with first hand experience as I've never heard of it prior to now.

Some help on how to deal with epic meltdowns would help, my son has major major meltdowns and I have no idea how to manage them, consoling/comforting doesn't work, I've never seen rage like it and throughout these meltdowns he's aggressive and rude. I have no idea whether to be firm and not accept this behaviour (in which case it prolongs the meltdown) or go for the kind patient approach which is what I usually opt for but its not especially effective either as he wont be comforted and I've noticed an increase in demanding and rude behaviour recently, I don't know if I'm being too soft. I'm not sure if the meltdowns are part of SPD, the OT seemed to think so as his brain doesn't process certain emotions very well and he can't cope. Some coping methods to teach him and us would be amazing should anyone be able to recommend anything to two tired confused parents.

I'm waiting for an appointment with OT but I've been told there's a big waiting list.

SaltyMyDear Tue 02-Aug-16 02:56:38

SPD is often part of ASD or dyspraxia.

Epic meltdowns are part of ASD (autism / Aspergers) so perhaps researching that might help?

in general you can't help a child while they're in a meltdown - that is the defn of a meltdown. If it could be helped it would be a 'temper tantrum '

You can however get better at stopping meltdowns before they start by learning to avoid his triggers.

If you can afford it you can see an OT privately.

You may also want to consider being assessed for ASD which is generally done by a paediatrician.

3luckystars Tue 02-Aug-16 07:00:14

Yes, I know all about it. Occupational therapy can make a huge difference!!!! Look into getting some privately if you can.
not sure how the system works where you are but are you waiting for an assessment, how long will it take do you think?

HumberLass Tue 02-Aug-16 11:49:26

Amazing thank you. It's hard sometimes as the smallest things trigger him, we've been reading about it but a personal experience is sometimes easier to relate to. Unsure how long we will be waiting for the assessment, it took 6 months from referral just to have a phone consultation!

lasttimeround Tue 02-Aug-16 15:41:09

My dd has sensory issues. She's a sensory seeker so we give her lots of swinging and bouncing and that helps w some of it. If you look up sensory diets you can find sheets to help you work out what kinds of processing problems you are dealing with and what you can do to try and help. A sort of diy approach until you get to see the ot.

Thewolfsjustapuppy Tue 02-Aug-16 15:49:29

DS has some sensory issues but doesn't have particularly bad meltdowns. We tend to avoid things like large crowds and loud noises (hair dryers) as these will cause problems. I give him fiddle toys and tactile puzzles and generally try to discourage his urge to put everything in his mouth (he is 6yo).
The only big problem for us is shopping as he becomes very difficult, again I avoid bringing him along if I have to shop.

lasttimeround Tue 02-Aug-16 16:01:12

If touching or comforting him during a meltdown makes it worse you need to stop doing it. I still find that v counter intuitive. But basically create a safe space for him to meltdown in. A corner padded with cushions so he can thrash and headbang without hurting himself. Sit next to him and let him get on with it. Hugs and comfort after he's OK to receive them again. For us a chewy tube also really helpful - dd is a biter and would bite snd bruise her arms looking for feedback in her jaw.
Other thing is you could note down what you see to make a sensory profile. Break it down by different senses including proprioperception and vestibular and note what you see snd when. Spd can be quite complex and you can be avoidant for one sense bug seeking in another. Or avoidant snd seeking in hhe same sense but for different sensations. Hate soft touch but seek firm touch .
The more accurate detail you hsve the better for ot

PolterGoose Sat 06-Aug-16 09:29:26

Humber both me and my ds have sensory processing problems (we are also both autistic) - there's a sensory processing disorder support thread on SN Children - it's not as busy as it was but might be useful to read, I'm usually around and will help if I can.

For the meltdown stuff I highly recommend Ross Greene's book 'The Explosive Child', it really is very very good.

Annoyinglyhappyperson Mon 22-Aug-16 17:30:00

Sending you love OP as it can be very tough. My ds has sensory processing issues. I literally rang the doctor up in tears asking for help and he referred us to OT who was amazing. My ds needs pressure so has weighted socks and I made him a weighted blanket (kudos to anyone who has done this as well as was the biggest ballache in the world to make) which has made a massive difference you can literally see his body relax when he has it on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now