5 year old using baby talk and baby like behaviour

(4 Posts)
Dizzybintess Sat 23-Jul-16 11:51:29

For the last few months my daughter has been using baby talk as a means of communication on and off. She occasionally decides she can't do stuff like putting shoes on despite being able to since she was 2 and being able to tie laces herself.
She is going into year 1 soon. The school have not mentioned that she is doing it there so it seems to be something that she is only doing with us. It's driving us nuts.
Any tips?

GreenSand Sat 23-Jul-16 12:06:56

My 5 and 7 year olds have been doing this recently....
I just ignore.
If it's something like getting dressed/ shoes I might say something like "oh dear, babies without shoes can't go and play at the big park, babies nap time". Obviously that only works if it's something they want to go and do. Tesco shop, and I'll just do it for them.
They are still only small, and I think part of it is wanting cuddles and to know I'm there for them. flowers

bridgetoc Sat 23-Jul-16 12:15:59

I would not worry as she is only five...... My DS is 9 and will still act like a baby at times, especially if he is upset!

Dizzybintess Sat 23-Jul-16 23:59:55

Do yours do baby talk too
It's this sickly voice that is like nails down a chalk board.
In all other aspects she is a bright confident girl who does lots of hobbies and has lots of lovely friends so I don't know why she is doing this. She has plenty of cuddles and love. I think it's a habit she has picked up and can't snap out of. She is very blonde and cutesy so think she is playing on that xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now