Toddler not finishing words...

(7 Posts)
SleepForTheWeak Fri 15-Jul-16 14:53:38

DD is only 20 months so in not particularly worried as she is only at the beginning of her speech development - but I'm just wondering if this is normal when learning to talk?

She can say probably 50-60 words, and can string a couple together (bye bye daddy, no mummy etc) but apart from a few, she only says the beginning of the words?

Bag is Ba (as is bad!)
Beans are bea
Milk is mil
Nose is no

You get the picture!

She also doesn't/won't call animals by their name - just the sound they make.

That all seem pretty normal?

SleepForTheWeak Fri 15-Jul-16 14:56:41

Additional note, we always praise her for attempting every word and then repeat the word properly

SchnitzelvonKrummsverylowtum Fri 15-Jul-16 15:02:51

DS turned 2 a couple of weeks ago and does this too - there are a few words he says properly, others where he just says the first syllable, and others where he says his own version, e.g. window = dindow. I think as long as they're trying, it's ok. I just repeat the correct word and praise him for talking. Interested to see other responses though.

SleepForTheWeak Fri 15-Jul-16 17:22:47

Thanks. Strange how some words are complete - bubble, pasta, again, mummy, daddy and a handful more are very clear - but then she'll say no bo for bone?!

Ferguson Fri 15-Jul-16 18:00:34

I don't think young children always hear 'complete' words, they just latch onto some sound in a word - starting sound, ending sound, or something in the middle - that identifies that word and its meaning for them. Some sounds may be easier for a child to hear and/or say than others. So don't worry about it.

NeedACleverNN Fri 15-Jul-16 18:01:31

Sounds fine to me. Around the age of 2/2 and 1/2 they have a language explosion and you will wonder why you ever taught them to speak

icklekid Fri 15-Jul-16 18:02:37

My 2 year old is the same we get some words with sounds at end and some at start "us" is bus but snake is "snaaa"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now