How to stop DD finding the worst in herself

(6 Posts)
Honeymoonmummy Thu 14-Jul-16 00:14:17

DD is 7. She got the most awesome school report today, "exceeding" in practically everything (this is not a stealth boast, it's an actual boast grin) and in there report there were two small points about "this is an area you can work on next year". She of course immediately picked up on these 2 points, not the loads of positives in the report and said "the report says I'm not very good at those things". I know this is a typical female thing and god knows I do it myself but how can I try to teach her not to do it?? How do I teach her to be a confident young woman? She also struggles with anxiety and has started to ask "how do I look" and I'd just like to know a source of the "right" responses so she's confident in her own abilities and not overly dependent on others opinion, because I feel that's the single best thing you can do for a child. Anyone got suggestions, perhaps for useful books for me or her to read? TIA smile

Honeymoonmummy Thu 14-Jul-16 00:16:42

"In the report" not "in there report". I should say that her reports say she is confident but I think she could be more confident/ have more self belief. I guess I would like her to have faith in herself even in the face of criticism from others and not really care to some extent what others say about her IYSWIM

Honeymoonmummy Fri 15-Jul-16 13:19:46

Bump

KleineDracheKokosnuss Fri 15-Jul-16 13:33:21

Try looking at the mighty girl website. They have lists of story books in various categories, and I expect there will be categories for self confidence and not judging herself.

Honeymoonmummy Fri 15-Jul-16 23:36:13

Thanks Kleine

bumblingmum Sun 28-Aug-16 13:18:12

I have the same issues with my daughter (just turned 8) and have struggling with what to do. Following this threas as I am interested in any advice given here.
The Mighty Girl website is great and I follow it on FB. I bought a book recommended on there for her to read about increasing confidence but shes not keen to read it.
I read somewhere that a great way to boost confidence is when they achieve tasks by themselves so I ask her to help (general day-to-day stuff like loading dishwasher) and give lots of praise.
We also talk a lot about being fit, strong and healthy rather than how pretty someone is. I don't greet any girls with how beautiful they are, I always say how lovely it is to see them and how smart/clever they are. I always try to praise behaviour/abilities over looks.
Hopeful for some other tips on boosting confidence and reducing anxiety.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now