Is this an age thing - parents of 11 year olds!

(5 Posts)
Titsalinabumsquash Tue 12-Jul-16 10:08:40

Calling al, parents of year 6 soon to be year 7 children.

DS is miserable, grumpy, argumentative and tearful. Is this an age thing? Hormones? The pressures and uncertainty or leaving friends behind and going to highschool or should I be more concerned.

I've tried to have a chat to ask if there's anything bothering him and got snapped back that he's fine.
He's obviously not fine, he's turned into a real grumpy sod this past few weeks.

He's going to highschool without any friends from primary school so I know it's hard for him, but he's making the whole household tense and down.

Are other people's children the same at this age?
Any tips for dealing with it?

mouldycheesefan Tue 12-Jul-16 10:12:28

Going to high school without any of your friends would surely be the reason.

FeckinCrutches Tue 12-Jul-16 10:13:56

Yep,my DD is exactly the same. Grumpy, snappy, sarcastic, wants no part in family activities. She's actually worse than her 16yo sister. I hated the 11/12/13 ages. Older one snapped out of it by 14.

Titsalinabumsquash Tue 12-Jul-16 10:16:43

Yes I'm sure it is the reason but he won't talk about it.

I got him alone in the car and gently asked if he had anything worrying him and how he felt about changing schools etc but was told he was fine and nothing's wrong (said through tears) I wish he'd just speak to one of us and get it off his chest.

RB68 Tue 12-Jul-16 12:33:14

they are tired after a tough yr with sats, mine is same age but girl - real ups and downs. Her Bestie is going to another school and she is devastated, but this is the best school for her even she agrees. They have all the leaving stuff to get through too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now