Signs of mild autism? Or aspergers?

(17 Posts)
Mamabear12 Fri 08-Jul-16 22:48:34

I want to list some things that have concerned me about my son. Please tell me if this is normal toddler behaviour or should I be concerned.
He is 2.5 years old.

- does not like to be told no or anything correcting behaviour. Super sensitive and will cry if I say something like no, be careful or don't do that etc. This is my biggest concern bc he gets upset and has tantrum every time! My daughter was not like this. She would just laugh and do it anyway and as she got older would listen.

- doesn't like hot temperature food. Well, seems overly sensitive and same w water. Like he will say it's hot when it's just warm.

- hates to wash his hair and screams and cries if I do so I only wash his hair once a month. He loves bath otherwise. He is fine if he wets his own hair a little. But gets pissed if anyone splashes him and he gets his face wet.

- seems very sensitive or wants to get attention like if his sister bumps him he will be like "ouch!" And whine. But he also likes to play wrestle

- doesn't like to share at all or if he playing with toys alone, doesn't like other kids coming up. But he happily plays w other kids when he is playing w their toys. He used to line up cars a lot. But he now also does lots of other play. Imaginary, role play w his dinosaurs and batman etc. And lately I have caught him a few times peeling things like bark off tree or old paint off house. It could be just random. But I've become paranoid since talking to another mom, who son is diagnosed w aspergers.

My son talks a lot, very social, says hi to everyone. Loves cuddles, smiles and looks people in the eye. Loves animals and is very gentle w animals. He likes to play fight and wrestle w other kids. Copy the big kids, speaks in sentences. So he doesn't display a lot of the signs, that I've read about. It's just a few things that have me concerned. He just seems a little over sensitive sometimes and it worries me. He has been watched by other nannies and goes to nursery. No one has said anything. All the nannies say he is well behaved, so happy etc.

Do the behaviours I list cause for concern?

Wolfiefan Fri 08-Jul-16 22:54:14

No toddler likes to be told no!
What's warm to us is hot to them. (Food and baths.)
Few kids like to get water on their face. DD holds a flannel over hers.
Sister bumps him. He isn't in control and feels vulnerable.
DS used to love to line up cars.
Toddlers don't enjoy sharing. It's a skill!
Is he sensitive or just a sweet little boy? Would you call a girl with the same behaviour sensitive?
Does he go to nursery or see health visitor? What do they say?

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

onemoremummy Fri 08-Jul-16 22:55:15

Humm your son sounds exactly like mine. I or no one ever suggested he has ASD...

lapsedorienteerer Fri 08-Jul-16 22:57:06

Sounds pretty normal behaviour for a 2.5 year old in my (limited) experience grin

BackforGood Fri 08-Jul-16 23:00:40

All perfectly normal. Sounds like a huge number of toddlers. Nothing you have posted would concern me.

Stylingwax Fri 08-Jul-16 23:04:18

He sounds normal to me.

HerRoyalFattyness Fri 08-Jul-16 23:10:15

All perfectly normal.

Mamabear12 Fri 08-Jul-16 23:16:33

Okay, thank you so much for your responses. I'm feeling a little better. He goes to nursery four days a week. He has also been going to gym creche two hours a day a few times a week since he was four months. And has been watches by nannies. - it sounds like he is watched by others a lot when I type this, but he was going to creche a lot before he started nursery and now that he is in nursery four half days a week he rarely does creche. And nannies are just once in a while 🙂 But anyway, no one says anything other then he is such a happy boy. The nursery did say he doesn't like to be told no and is sensitive. But they only brought it up when I did. It didn't seem they were too concerned. And they r the type that brings up concerns, bc they have brought up speeches development concerns to two other parents. So I know they pay attention to the kids and are not shy about voicing concern. It's mainly my concern. And my friend saying I should get him checked bc some of the things sounds like mild form of aspergers, which her son has. But she could be just wanting me to air in the side of caution. I will take him to a health visitor next week and ask them.

He has his two year check up and the lady did not have any concerns. At the time I voiced my concern of his speech bc he seemed lazy w pronunciation or not able to, but she wasn't too concerned and told me she would refer me if I wanted her to for hearing and speech assessment. I need to follow up in that bc some how my response confirming I wanted him checked got lost in the post and they took him off the list! Although, now I'm not sure he needs it as his speech improved loads after giving up his dummy and he speaks more clearly and in sentences. I was also comparing him to his older sister who speaks really well for her age and when she was just two.

He could just be sensitive and I would still be concerned if it was my daughter w the same reaction to me saying no or trying to correct behaviour. But I was also concerned w her big tantrums and crying when she was two and I thought "is there something going on here?" As well. It could just be me a little paranoid. I'm hoping he will outgrow a few of these behaviours soon. I'm the type the worries easily. I guess it's mainly the not be able to tell him no w him freaking out and the water on head and the slight sensitivity to warm temperatures that has me most concerned. He doesn't seem to line up cars anymore. I guess I'm also now noticing more sensitive to noticing things after my friend told me to look out for these behaviours.

Sorry for all this ramblings. Thanks so much for those who responded. So far it seems from the responses that this behaviour is considered normal for a two year old. I will keep you updated what the health visitor says at the drop by session.

Asuitablemum Fri 08-Jul-16 23:27:06

From the sounds of it, if he has autism then it is very mild. Have you looked up sensory processing disorder? I wouldn't worry too much, see the health visitor by all means but by 3 all these behaviours will probably have gone.

Mamabear12 Fri 08-Jul-16 23:31:47

Yes, I came across the sensory processing disorder when I became concerned about him saying warm things are hot (today and I mainly because concern when my friend red flagged it). I always thought he was sensitive to things when it's warm or he didn't know the meaning of actual hot and just thinks anything warm is hot. I will bring this up w health visitor and mention the sensory processing disorder as well when I see her.

recall Fri 08-Jul-16 23:33:00

sounds normal, keep an eye on it, my 6 year old daughter behaves similarly still, I read about Pathological Demand Avoidance Syndrome, and how to manage it. My daughter has not been diagnosed with this, but I applied the techniques suggested for dealing with meltdowns, and her response was immediate. Within a week, she seemed much more content, and began interacting more with her siblings. She became more affectionate, and most of her meltdowns were nipped in the bud. I discussed this with her teacher, and she said that I had just applied good child psychology. We have re connected, and I am enjoying having my daughter back. Might be worth a read - even if its just to arm yourself with coping strategies.

Ilovemygsd Fri 08-Jul-16 23:43:14

With all those out side ppl saying he's fine, and sailing through 2 year check up, I'd say he's fine smile

Asuitablemum Sat 09-Jul-16 00:03:19

From the sounds of it, if he has autism then it is very mild. Have you looked up sensory processing disorder? I wouldn't worry too much, see the health visitor by all means but by 3 all these behaviours will probably have gone.

PolterGoose Sat 09-Jul-16 13:48:59

If you're concerned Mamabear I would suggest doing an M-CHAT screening test. See how he scores. HVs and GPs tend to take things more seriously if a recognised screening tool indicates a need for further investigation.

Nobody can tell you here, but I really regret listening to all the people who dismissed my concerns when ds was little, turns out he is autistic. It would have been easier had we known sooner.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now