Behavioural issues in premature toddlers?

(16 Posts)
Hana101 Mon 27-Jun-16 09:57:41

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with toddlers who were born prematurely and now have behavioural issues? My 2yr 10m LB was born at 33 weeks, never been an easy baby but over the last 6 months or so his behaviour has become extremely aggressive and it seems he just constantly cries of he doesn't get his own way. He's a very bad sleeper and is constantly up all night crying (there's not reason I can work out for the crying)
I have out this down to terrible 2s however it doesn't seem to be improving but getting worse. I have been to see the GP who has agreed to asses him In a few weeks, just wondering if any one else has experienced this? Many thanks

fanjoforthemammaries Mon 27-Jun-16 09:59:39

I would be first looking to see if he is in pain..maybe from his ears?

fanjoforthemammaries Mon 27-Jun-16 09:59:54

or his stomach..reflux?

Hana101 Mon 27-Jun-16 10:19:50

He sufferers from chronic constipation which is treated with movicol so I do sometimes wonder if he's in pain from that however even on days when he has good bowel movements he will still act up and cry all night. He needs to constantly be touching me to know that im there (he sleeps in my bed) if i leave he will be awake with in minutes screaming the place down. i feel like my evenings are being held to ransom by a toddler!! Seriously at the end of my tether sad

MrsJayy Mon 27-Jun-16 10:24:13

It sounds hard when he is constantly on you and if he is in pain too its maybe a learned behaviour you go away he cries? 1 of mine has a developmental delay because she was premature (drs think) she was very clingy but not crying like your son

RatherBeIndoors Mon 27-Jun-16 10:33:20

We saw our paediatrician recently, who was talking to us about the emotional delays/additional needs that she often sees in children who were born significantly prematurely. So I think it can be the case, but obviously not always, and there are other possible reasons. Sounds like a sensible idea to get your GP involved - I hope you have a better week and get some sleep flowers

Hana101 Mon 27-Jun-16 11:01:49

This is what I thought it may be attachment issues as I have looked it and looked at some research which shows attachment issues in prems. I think I could cope with the day times if he slept at night!! Hopefully my gp will take me seriously as I feel I'm losing the will to live.

fanjoforthemammaries Mon 27-Jun-16 11:05:55

i would still think pain is the most likely at the moment

fanjoforthemammaries Mon 27-Jun-16 11:06:12

hope you can get to bottom of it

mouldycheesefan Mon 27-Jun-16 11:12:54

I had twins born at 33 weeks. It didn't cause any behavioural problems that you speak off. Did have reflux but long finished by age 2.
Lots of toddlers cry if they don't get their own way that's the terrible twos. He sounds exhausted to be honest, if he is up all night crying he isn't in a good sleep pattern and that is bound to take its toll on his behaviour. And will be exhausting for you. I think good sleep is the key here. If you can do that co sleeping then fine, if not perhaps co sleeping isn't working for you. Could you interest him in a big boy bed? also there are episodes of in the night garden where upsy daisy has her own bed that could be handy. We had a rule in our house, everyone sleeps in their own bed. Sleep is so important! If you don't think you can manage it yourself then a night nanny or sleep clinic may be the answer.
Good luck 💐

MrsJayy Mon 27-Jun-16 11:29:23

Yes i think he is uncomfy with the constipation i take laxido which is the same as movicol and it gives me terrible trapped wind bowel problems are awful everywhere hurts.

Hana101 Mon 27-Jun-16 12:28:29

Co sleeping does not work for us it was a last resort after I returned to work when he was 1 and was the best way for us all to get any sleep. He has his own bed but to be honest I've given up trying to put him in it as its a constant battle, he does constantly look tired with eye bags so sleep is defintley an issue. I have recently gone on maternity leave as am due in around 5 weeks and want to have a handle on this before a new born comes along. Any sleep tips welcome!

mouldycheesefan Mon 27-Jun-16 12:45:47

I assume you have already tried everything re sleeping I think you need a night nanny or sleep clinic, sorry to say that but he is exhausted, you are exhausted, you are about to have another baby and you only have five weeks to sort the issue. 💐 time to throw some money at it.

Hana101 Mon 27-Jun-16 17:23:05

I think this may be my only option now as times are getting tough! Thanks for all your help.

Pl123 Wed 29-Jun-16 13:19:29

My 4 (nearly 5) has recently become aggressive and bad tempered, he was great before that but is really playing up in preschool, getting to point where I am keeping him off, he too was premature, 1lb 13oz but has reached all his milestones and never gave us any concern before, does anyone think there is a link?

MiaowTheCat Thu 30-Jun-16 21:02:44

My four year old was a 33 weeker, was fine with the terrible twos as she was very ahead verbally but 3 and 4 she's been a bloody nightmare and she is somewhat socially immature for her age compared to her peers (I've actually got the high functioning end of the autistic spectrum slightly in mind for her, not that she'd ever get to the level of a diagnosis with resources how they are, but I keep it in mind and use a lot of that type of strategy with her which helps).

I decided not to go down the route of wondering if it was her prematurity as I know me and I'd end up in a right mess blaming myself for something I couldn't help that's now in the past after a huge struggle to put it there (I had PTSD from it all and her delivery and it took a lot to work through it all).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now