Getting baby onto a dummy

(11 Posts)
WalrusGumboot Tue 21-Jun-16 23:51:26

I resisted as long as I could and then she started to find her thumb so I panicked and got her one. First time she latched on for about a minute. Since then she basically gums it while I sit there like a lemon holding it in her mouth. Am I on a hiding to nothing here? Any tips on getting her to take to it? She's 9 weeks.

Newtobecomingamum Wed 22-Jun-16 13:30:53

What's so wrong with baby funding their thumb or sucking on their fingers etc. it soothes and comforts them? Mine did this and when they need extra soothing ie teething or not well that had the dummy. No issues now with any of them. Sorry, I don't get what the issue is?

Newtobecomingamum Wed 22-Jun-16 13:31:17

*finding

Newtobecomingamum Wed 22-Jun-16 13:33:13

Also, if your baby keeps refusing the dummy, maybe they don't want it. Keep offering it now and again, but I def wouldn't be sitting there holding in their mouth if they don't want it.

InternationalHouseofToast Wed 22-Jun-16 13:35:23

I gave up when DS showed no interest in a dummy. I decided if I wanted him to drop it within 12 months anyway I was on a hiding to nothing and gave up so he never had one.

Diddlydokey Wed 22-Jun-16 13:50:36

If you tap the outside with your nail it starts their suckling reflex. Just offer it to her instead of her thumb when she's looking for it.

Dummies are better than thumbs as when she gets teeth you can throw the dummy away

WalrusGumboot Wed 22-Jun-16 16:17:57

Thanks all. Diddly's right New, I'd rather she got used to a dummy as then when the time comes to wean her off it I can physically remove it and the habit will be easier to break.

I'll try that tonight Diddly, thanks for the tip.

CityDweller Wed 22-Jun-16 19:18:38

Try a different type? The Mam ones are the only ones DS would go for. And yy to the tapping thing.

NickyEds Wed 22-Jun-16 21:52:40

We tried the tapping thing with dd and it worked very well, it seems to remind them it's there!

littlemissblue Wed 22-Jun-16 21:56:55

Try a mam dummy - the only type my DD would take and we tried a LOT! Boots sell them

WalrusGumboot Wed 22-Jun-16 22:29:59

Will try different types if we continue to struggle. She was a lot more interested once I started tapping! Thanks again smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now