What age to let DC travel alone?

(5 Posts)
Flumpnugget Sat 18-Jun-16 10:32:35

How old before you let your DC travel alone to activities? Distance is 5 minute walk, busy roads, public place.

Do people generally wait for them to be at secondary school these days before travelling about by themselves?

(I grew up in the 80's and generally travelled around with friends from 9/10)

Cheers.

AveEldon Sat 18-Jun-16 14:34:54

Depends on the road crossings and how sensible your child is
My eldest has been walking solo from the beginning of year 5
It was only occasional to start with
Imho they need to start before secondary especially if they are going to travel alone/further then

Flumpnugget Sat 18-Jun-16 18:42:59

Ok, that's useful, thank you.

ohgodteens Sat 18-Jun-16 21:22:10

Mine did the 5 min walk to school in year 4 super short but for the 3 mile bike to school in year 7 we did it a good few times in the holidays (raise fitness DS and mine) to get the route and timings totally sorted.

normastits5 Wed 22-Jun-16 17:57:47

DS has been travelling solo gradually during year 6 to & from school which is a 2 mile journey. Started just once a week , home journey only, then progressed through the year until now he is confident to travel to school & back solo . This was in preparation for senior school which is a longer journey involving bus & tube . It was scary for all of us at first! But he is so glad now as it has contributed to his confidence massively

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now