16 Month old.

(3 Posts)
Lily1992x Wed 15-Jun-16 21:13:06

Hi,

Im new to this! Was just concerned at my 16 month olds speech, im not really sure what she should be doing at her age. She can say mum, dada, nana & yum thats about it! If i ask her to say any of these she doesnt, she normally just blurts them out randomly off her own accord! She babbles constantly but rarely says proper words. Her understanding is brilliant i just feel she is falling behind with her speech. I constantly read to her which she loves and i sing whilst reading too... Any other tips? Am i worrying too much?!

bushtailadventures Wed 15-Jun-16 21:23:12

She sounds about right to me. My dgd, also 16 months, will occasionally say 'mummy', 'nanny', and 'ta'. Mostly she babbles, and she babbles a lot. I had a long conversation with her on the phone today, whole strings of babble with the odd break for me to say 'mmm' smile

I'm sure someone will be along to reassure you properly, but from what I remember of my 4 dc this is normal. I did have a speech delayed dc, but we never worried about her this early, only after she got to 2 without saying any recognisable words.

Summerdaydreams1 Wed 15-Jun-16 22:43:09

She sounds fine. From our experience with SALT, Understanding is far more important at this stage. She babbles and has some words with meaning, You say her understanding is brilliant, so there is no reason why the words won't follow. Keep talking to her, reading, singing and the words will come.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now