6 year old struggling learning to swim

(4 Posts)
JammyGeorge Tue 07-Jun-16 15:53:30

Hi, ds1 is 6 and in year 1. He's been having swimming lessons on and off since he was in pre-school. At the moment he is attending a group lesson once a week for half an hour with about 4/5 other kids.

He's comfortable in the water and enjoys swimming but he still can't swim unaided at all. I'm thinking about moving him to a new place as where he is now is quite far away and when I spoke to them they said he would have to start at level 1. I have visions of him lined up with a load of 3/4 year olds half his size and am worried it's going to knock his confidence.

My nieces/nephew/friends kids are all able to swim unaided and are much younger but I don't know what the norm is if you see what I mean.

How old were your DC when they swam unaided?

BackforGood Tue 07-Jun-16 19:27:32

I can't remember exactly - and also depends on your definition of "swim unaided". However, the fact is that is where your ds is now, so it's a bit irrelevant what other people's dc could / couldn't do.
I booked My dc 3 into a course over one half term, for an hour a day. Turned out there were only 2 there the first day, and then the other one didn't come back, so my dd had virtually 1:1 for an hour a day, 5 days in a row, and got her 25m badge at the end of the week. Would something like that work for your ds? A bit of 'intensive work'. It was only at the council pool - just something I saw advertised on a poster on the wall, wasn't expensive at all.

All that aside, 6 yrs isn't old to be in a beginner class.

EvansOvalPies Tue 07-Jun-16 19:33:00

My DD is a swimming teacher - for her lessons, the children are grouped according to their age and ability, not only their age or ability, if you see what I mean. So 3-4 yr olds will be grouped accordingly, as will 6-7 yr olds, and so forth. So your 6-yr old son will be in a lesson with other 6-yr olds of the same ability. He won't be (or shouldn't be) in his lessons with children of a much younger age.

JammyGeorge Tue 07-Jun-16 20:59:34

Thanks the intensive lessons might be something to look into, I think they might help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now