Giving up bottles

(17 Posts)
Dizzydodo Wed 01-Jun-16 17:19:51

DD is 16 months, has been having a 5-6oz bottle (cows milk) in the day and a 6-7oz bottle at bed time. She's never been keen on milk from a cup but I've decided we really need to stop bottles as she's not a baby any hp

Dizzydodo Wed 01-Jun-16 17:24:48

Oops posted too soon!

She's not a baby anymore and I'm worried about her teeth, have decided to just give milk in a free flow beaker during the day and then switch the bed time bottle. Problem is she is now not having any milk in the day as refuses it from the cup! She doesn't fuss or ask for a bottle, she just won't drink it. I'm going to keep trying but I'm worried about changing the bedtime bottle in case she refuses that too! What would you do?

Diddlydokey Wed 01-Jun-16 17:27:02

Just go with it. Bear in mind she gets milk with breakfast, cheese and yoghurt all count towards her dairy.

Ds used to like it warm. Chuck away the bottle so you're not tempted.

WellErrr Wed 01-Jun-16 17:28:12

There's nothing wrong with bottles as long as you're brushing teeth. They provide comfort and research shows that the suck reflex AIDS brain development.

My 3 year old dropped them just after turning 3, my nearly 2 year old still has 2 a day. It gets milk in them and they like it.

So my advice is just leave it. Don't make a stressful issue if you don't need to.

WellErrr Wed 01-Jun-16 17:29:31

Mine were breastfed until nearly one too, then onto bottles.

Diddlydokey Wed 01-Jun-16 17:31:04

They are bad for teeth...

www.nhs.uk/Livewell/dentalhealth/Pages/Goodhabitskids.aspx

WellErrr Wed 01-Jun-16 17:36:39

This is what that link says about bottles -

Try to get them off bottles completely by the age of one, because the teats and spouts encourage children to suck for long periods of time, meaning the drinks that cause tooth decay stay in contact with your child's teeth for a long time

So if they have a fast flow teat, just drink the milk, and you brush the teeth after, there's no issue.

uhoh2016 Wed 01-Jun-16 18:56:43

My ds is 15m and still has a bottle at bedtime I've no issue at all with this and have no plans to remove it any time soon. It's part of his bedtime routine. He gets his teeth brushed morning and night and uses a cup during the day ( which he has regular small sips from rather than a big drink he has at night in the bottle)

2nds Wed 01-Jun-16 19:00:32

Both of my girls dropped bottles themselves through their own choice, one was nearly 2 and the other was around 15 months old.

My advice is just let the child have the bottle until the child knows it no longer wants it.

uhoh2016 Wed 01-Jun-16 19:02:18

Agree with 2nds my older 2 dc dropped it when they were ready too aswell

FastWindow Wed 01-Jun-16 19:05:54

My dd2.5 has a bottle morning and evening, but is showing signs of not being so attached.

She's perfectly capable of using a glass but i think she likes the comfort.

I look after her beautiful little teeth as I am aware of the bottle problem, but bedtime would be a bad time to go cold turkey grin

Nuttypops Wed 01-Jun-16 19:19:04

I keep meaning to attempt this with DD, 18 months as well but haven't braved the bedtime bottle yet. She has switched to a cup with a straw for milk during the day finally. Is it worth trying a straw?

NeedACleverNN Wed 01-Jun-16 19:22:25

My ds is 15 months and he still has a bottle. Only for bed time though (or if he wakes in the night which is rare)

He doesn't drink milk in the day time but does have a beaker for juice and water

Dizzydodo Wed 01-Jun-16 19:22:34

Thanks everyone, think I will keep the bedtime one for now as her teeth get brushed straight after and let her give it up in her own time.

Ifiwasabadger Wed 01-Jun-16 19:47:58

My 3 year old has four ounces of milk each morning, from a bottle. She barely eats so I know that this way she's getting something decent to start the day. It takes approximately 2 minutes and her teeth are brushed afterwards. If it works for you, it works for you.

backtowork2015 Wed 01-Jun-16 21:38:49

My dd loved her bottle but we went cold turkey at age 1, she refused milk for around 3 days from a cup then gave in. I remember worrying but friends reassured me to stick with it and they were right, she resumed drinking of plenty of milk from a cup. My ds was the same, furious the first night and tossed the sippy cup across the room, he gave in quicker and we were back on track by breakfast

suspiciousofgoldfish Wed 01-Jun-16 22:07:04

DS (22 months) loves his bottle, and can sink 9oz first and last thing in about three minutes.

Surely it's only a problem if they are sucking on a bottle of juice all day and/or they are not having their teeth cleaned?

I do use more grown up cups in public though, I must admit. And when the HV comes. Can't be bothered with the inevitable "he's really too old for that" lecture.

I think I can safely say he won't have a bottle in the boardroom meeting when he is thirty.

Like the other posters have said, it's not a big deal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now