9 month old won't drink from bottles/cups/doidy/sippys

(4 Posts)
Salyo Wed 01-Jun-16 17:02:03

My youngest DS is over 9 months old now and I just cannot get him to drink from ANYTHING except me!

He now eats food too, but all drinks are from me so he's still bf about 8-10 times per day.

We've tried everything!! He kicks off, screaming and crying and pushes my hands away every time I try any kind of bottle/cup. I've had various other people try but still no luck. I've tried not breast feeding him for several hours but he still refused water/formula/expressed milk.

Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution?!!

Thanks X

BrightandEarly Wed 01-Jun-16 21:50:05

Regarding bottles, definitely get someone else to give it and experiment with different style teats to see if that makes a difference.

With sippy cups, I would just keep offering. Mine responded well to 'group effect', seeing other children using them at nursery...

tinymeteor Wed 01-Jun-16 22:08:10

Had exactly that problem. Keep offering but pretend you don't care if they take it or not - try not to cajole or get wound up about it. Think of it as offering a new toy that they will eventually take to. At some point they just take a drink and act like was their idea all along wink

I also found that Nuk learner bottles succeeded where all other sippy cups had failed.

user1464887935 Thu 02-Jun-16 19:25:17

I found babycup was the only one my middle one would take and I've started my youngest on it too and it's going well. I sat and drank from one aswell...I probably looked a bit mad doing so as they are very much baby-sized! But they seemed keen to copy and it worked. Little one especially loved copying siblings. Worth a try, keep offering, with just a tiny drop in to start with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now