Not sure if my baby is on track

(13 Posts)
Weebeastiebaby Thu 26-May-16 18:41:44

My ds is almost 11 months old. He was able to wave when prompted at around 8 months but had recently stopped doing this entirely. He has never clapped his hands or even attenpted to and doesn't point to anything. From what I've been hearing he should be attempting to do this by now. I don't want to seem overly concerned but don't really have anyone else to ask. He is also extremely energetic and spends most of his time throwing things on the floor, shouting, pulling things off shelves and trying to climb the stairs (I do have stair gates) every person who meets him comments on how hyperactive he is and I have laughed it off but am becoming worried that this is not normal boisterous behaviour for this age. He can walk around holding on the furniture, crawl very quickly and bounces up and down anytime he isn't moving around. He has never sat still for any time at all and wont pay attention to anything eg. Television, light projector, moving toys etc but is constantly moving around from the moment he wakes up.
He is very healthy, eats mostly finger foods and drinks 2x 7oz bottles a day after benign weaned from bf at 8 months. He also sleeps from 7pm until 6am.
I'm just worried he is not developing normally and his hyperactive behaviour is putting family off watching him as he is such hard work and I rely on them for childcare due to working long shifts.

FuckingFattyBitch Thu 26-May-16 18:48:39

That all sounds perfectly normal to me.
Honestly. There's nothing wrong with him. If your family don't want to watch him because he's "hyperactive" that's their problem not yours or his. He's a baby. They all develop differently (my DD didn't clap until 14 months, and barely spoke until she was nearly 2. She's now 2 and a half and you would never know it) and they love to get up.to mischief at that age (I have a nearly 10 month old) they are just exploring the world around them. All of this is still new to them and they are seeing it all from new perspectives as they become more mobile.

trilbydoll Thu 26-May-16 18:54:55

I think they do one thing at a time. Your ds is obviously concentrating on gross motor skills, my dd2 who was 1 last weekend is only just pulling up to standing. She's got a very good pointy finger though grin she doesn't have any kind of attention span either, I think that comes as they get a bit older. DD1 wasn't properly interested in TV until at least 18m because she didn't know what she was watching.

Weebeastiebaby Thu 26-May-16 19:00:01

Thanks. I feel like if there was something wrong with him I would know by now but the comments from others like "I don't know how you do it, I'd be exhausted" and "he's a handful" are starting to make me worried that it's not normal for a baby of this age.
I recently took him to a baby group at a library where I watched other mums sit with babies on their lap looking at picture books and having a lovely time but by the time I'd popped him on the carpet and picked up a book he was about 50 yards away, knocking over a display and shouting at an old couple. Feel like everyone is judging the mum with the 'wild' baby. Especially as I am a young parent (and look even younger) but I don't want to give him into trouble or anything as he's only a young baby.

Sorry this is long and not really relevant but it feels good to type it out after playing on my mind for so long

FuckingFattyBitch Thu 26-May-16 19:03:28

Our babies would get on well grin mines exactly like yours. And I'm a young mum too. (24 with 3 kids! Yes I'm slightly nutty) I'm lucky enough that I have the confidence and experience to know it's normal (have childcare qualifications).

EsmesBees Thu 26-May-16 19:03:51

Yep sounds normal to me too. Some babies are more dexterous than others, some walk earlier, some are all about the talking. He'll catch up. And they also go through stages, mine went through a mad won't sit still phase and is now really into sitting down with a book. Personality plays a part too. Some people are just more active than others.

Xmasbaby11 Thu 26-May-16 19:08:09

My dd was like that - very restless. It was noticeable to me by the age of 1. She roamed around and didn't settle to activities. At the time it was considered normal but she was very tiring and harder work than her peers it seemed. And very different to dd2 at that age.

She is 4 now and still has poor concentration tbh but did improve from the age of 3.

Weebeastiebaby Thu 26-May-16 19:08:38

I can only hope this is him getting him out of his system before the toddler stage or I might be in for a time of it!!

FuckingFattyBitch Thu 26-May-16 19:09:51

Toddlers arent too bad...It makes life more..erm... interesting thats for sure grin

GrassW1dow Thu 26-May-16 19:42:28

Mine started waving around 10 months and also stopped a few weeks later. He started again in earnest at around 15 months.
Everything else you mention sounds normal too. DS only really started pointing just after he turned 16mo.

Weebeastiebaby Thu 26-May-16 19:57:03

Thanks for all advice. I feel a lot better now and think I'll tell any concerned relatives that he is fine just the way he is.
Was worried about clapping/waving etc as I had a touch of PND around time when ds was 4/5 months old and I remember feeling he was falling behind on his development around that time maybe due to lack of interaction from me. Am worried that is the reason he is falling behind now, although not PND at this point.

corythatwas Fri 27-May-16 00:06:52

You tell them.

The poster who said they develop one thing at a time was spot on. Mine were very good at sitting still on my lap and listening to a story- but dd never learnt to crawl and didn't stand up until she was 19 months. So of course she had time to develop her listening skills: it was all she was doing! Yours is tackling it from the other end and that probably takes up all his attention at the moment. Dd's friend was like your baby. Her listening and other skills caught up in the end and as far as I remember she did very well at school.

waitingforsomething Fri 27-May-16 23:54:43

I agree with the posters who say they do different things at different rates. My ds is 10.5 months- he claps, waves, points, high 5s and says mama and dada. However he only just started getting mobile- doesn't crawl properly yet and doesn't pull to standing yet. Cruising is a while off for him! Your DS sounds like my dd at the same age- totally normal

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now