Excessive drooling in 4 month old?

(8 Posts)
broadcity Wed 25-May-16 12:28:51

Hi,

I'm a FTM to a 4 month old DD and I've been wondering if her level of drooling is 'normal'! I have her in a bib permanently and she soaks several a day. Sometimes she'll open her mouth and saliva will fall out like it's been collecting in there.

She eats well and is gaining weight. I can't see any signs of teeth coming through. The drooling doesn't bother me as such - I just wanted to check it's not a sign of a problem as there is rather a lot of it!

Thanks.

Riversmum1 Wed 25-May-16 12:59:00

Same for my DS. Fists are constantly in his mouth too, think its all totally normal!

MyBreadIsEggy Wed 25-May-16 13:00:59

Totally normal smile
My DD was the same, no obvious signs on her gums that teeth were coming but then when she was 4 months old she woke up one morning and the tops of two little teeth had popped through her bottom gum grin

ElspethFlashman Wed 25-May-16 13:01:22

It's teething. They're moving around under the gums. It may be months before you actually see a tooth but omg the amount of bibs you'll get through!

My two were like bloody Newfoundlands from 4 months on. Constant drool. It was a right pain. Normal though!

broadcity Wed 25-May-16 17:25:20

Thanks everyone. It's the sheer volume of it that's taken me by surprise! Especially when she opens her mouth and it just pours out! Lovely.

Bonhomie321 Wed 25-May-16 17:29:11

If not teething, has she got white patches in her mouth? My son had thrush in his mouth causing excess drool. Easy to remedy with drops from the doctor.

whatsnewsmellycat Wed 25-May-16 17:43:50

So so soooo normal. My DS was like a tap at that age, but didn't see any teeth until 9 months.

gatorgolf Thu 26-May-16 20:50:30

Gym son dribbled loads up until about age 3, sometimes you could literally wring out his bibs. I ended up going docs who told me it was perfectly normal and some kids dribble up to about age 7, ds is now 6 and has thankfully grown out of it a couple of years ago

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now