Nearly 2 year old not talking

(16 Posts)
MrPony Mon 23-May-16 14:03:10

I've not been too concerned as he has started babbling, but at what age do you become concerned? He has no words and will not always respond to us talking to him. Not sure if he's just ignorant though!

FructoseTart Mon 23-May-16 14:07:53

DD1 didn't talk properly until halfway through nursery so 4...
DD2 was talking fully at about 20 months but was very forward from the birth (holding her head crawling and sitting early etc)
DD3 is 11 months and won't even say mama/dada
Not very helpful, but every child is different

firsttimekat Mon 23-May-16 14:08:43

I think by age 2 they expect a child to have around 50 words. Have you got a 2yr check coming up could you discuss with a HV? Might be a good way to have a discussion about expectations and how to access more help if needed.

How is his hearing? If he doesn't respond it might be worth a hearing test to check if can hear properly.

I had some concerns about DS and spoke to a speech and language friend and she said that non verbal communication and understanding on of language is an important development marker as well as spoken language. How is he on that? If you ask him to go get something and bring it to you, can he? I know it's sometimes difficult to work out if he understands and won't or doesn't understand!

MrPony Mon 23-May-16 14:26:58

Definitely not 50 words. The closest he will come is a joo sound for juice. That's about it.

He will follow instructions if he feels like it so I know he can listen. His communication is good apart from that. We usually understand what he wants.

firsttimekat Mon 23-May-16 15:53:10

We found with DS (2 in July, so still a current issue with us). That we thought he had very few words, maybe a dozen and then suddenly he has gained loads in the last month. Now I'd say he probably does have about 50 but he doesn't always use all of them when he could. Other people have said similar that they suddenly 'get it' and start picking up words.

Our speech and language friend did say to trust your parental instinct, if you think he is making good progress but just slower than his peers give him time, but if not then probably worth seeking some professional help if only to reassure yourself. Sometimes early intervention can be really helpful so you don't want to miss an opportunity to help.

whatamess0815 Mon 23-May-16 16:14:44

does he respond to name? can he follow instructions? is he pointing? does he bring you things to show you?

if so, I would not worry too much but probably push for a hearing test to rule out any hearing issue.

Chippednailvarnishing Mon 23-May-16 16:18:13

Just to offer some reassurance, my DD was similar and due to other medical issues we were very concerned. However she started preschool and her speech really came on.

StarlingMurmuration Mon 23-May-16 16:48:27

Has he had his hearing tested? DS is 18 months and up to a fortnight ago had no words at all, and we're being referred for a hearing test.

Convoysandwich Mon 23-May-16 16:54:34

When you say nearly two, how many months old is he? Dd1's speech improved dramatically between "nearly 2" and 2 so be patient if it's still a month or two away and then raise it at the 2-year check (if you have one) if you're still concerned.

MrPony Tue 24-May-16 12:02:24

He'll be 2 in July so a couple of months to go yet. I feel quite chilled out about it as I think he'll get there eventually but the older he gets the more the comments from well meaning friends and relatives come out. I don't want to be too chilled and miss something.

Does everyone get the 2 year check? I will bring it up then if we still have no progress.

NickyEds Tue 24-May-16 18:13:27

Everyone gets a two year check but when you get it seems to depend on how busy your hv team are, ds's was at 27 months.

My ds had veryfew words at 2, maybe 10-15 but a lot of those were actually sounds such as nee nar (fire engine) and quack quack. I took him to the SALT drop in just before he turned two, then again at 27 months. He's 29 months now and he's just had a hearing test and an assessment by the SALT at his pre school. They focus a lot on his understanding and social awareness. Does your ds point? Bring you things just to show you?

Inmyownlittlecorner Tue 24-May-16 18:25:37

My 3.5 year old DD has speech delay caused by verbal dyspraxia.
She is under SALT & various other departments.
Her comprehension is perfect, she is actually advanced in that!
I noticed her speech (or lack of) around about 18/20 months. My health visitor was pretty useless, but my GP referred us to our local SALT team when she turned 2. There are often long waiting lists so getting in early is useful!!

Frusso Tue 24-May-16 18:31:51

2yr check seems to fall at about 2.5yrs.

At 20mths my ds said very little, the less than 10 vaguely sounded like something words.

That said, in generally there is a burst of language development from 2.5yrs,

my ds has just turned 3, and considering this time last year he said pretty much nothing, he does not stop talking.

The wait for s&lt can be quite a while, (6mths or longer in my area) and if you have concerns I would advise speaking to HV to at least get a referral, even if you then cancel it when his language develops more, and if it doesn't he'll already be in the system by the time you'd know for sure whether he'd need it or not.

fish88 Tue 24-May-16 18:34:23

My boy didn't really say any words until he was 2. Was nearly 2 and a half by the time he said Mamma. Once he said a few words though he very quickly started saying loads. At 32 months he is currently singing the ABC song whilst his daddy changes his nappy. I would bring it up at his 2 and a half year review but try not to worry until then if everything else seems on track.

Convoysandwich Tue 24-May-16 22:35:13

There's no 2 year check where I live, unless you specifically ask for one NickyEds

Abbinob Tue 24-May-16 22:37:37

Mine was the same, then suddenly he said everything almost overnight
Did the same thing with walking too, first steps then nothing for ages then walking just fine.
I think he practices in secret hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now