Is there a problem?

(4 Posts)
Windsofwinter Sat 21-May-16 08:49:17

My DS is almost 8. He performs well at school (although doesn't Apply himself when expected to do any kind of extended writing), behaves, has plenty of friends, is polite, loves sport.

The problem is at home/out and about. He is constantly, and I mean constantly, making noises. Gun noises, car noises, lightsaber noises, explosions, fighting noises, transformer noises, weird laughs, the list goes on. He often does the actions too. It doesn't matter how many times I ask him to stop. I didn't think too much of it, other then how maddeningly irritating it can be, I sort of assumed it was a boy thing and DP agreed.

Last night my mum took me to one side and suggested he has some sort of problem (Tourette's/adhd etc). She said she's been concerned for quite a while but thought I'd pick up on it. I was a bit upset; should I have picked up on this? Is there a problem? Feeling like the worlds worst mother this morning blush

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 21-May-16 09:32:54

It's hard to get a clear picture over t'internet. What makes your Mum think this? Does she have experience of these two conditions?

VioletBam Sat 21-May-16 09:34:28

Have school said anything? Does he do it only at home or when he's out with you?

It's not specifically a "boy thing" to be constantly making noises. I've seen girls do it too...some are just short of self control but others, as you've mentioned, might have an issue.

Windsofwinter Sat 21-May-16 09:37:11

Not particularly. She's worked with adults with learning difficulties but didn't make any link between the two. She just said that in her experience of having boys it's not normal.

The noises are irritating I will admit, it is non stop. At meal times, quiet times, he can't walk anywhere without doing it. It's never been mentioned at school though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now