leadership

(6 Posts)
harajukugirl Thu 19-May-16 13:22:48

My dd is learning about leadership and what makes a good leader.

I thought this is a great opportunity to tell her about Gandhi, Martin Luther King, Mandela, Shackleton, Churchill, Steve jobs, Ferdinand Magelen, Dalai Lama, bill gates, Abraham Lincoln, Pankhurst, thatcher, aung San....

1. Is there a resource for kids where they can learn about these people in a fun way? Like a 30 min TVs program for 7 year olds? Or an app?

2. Wouldnt mind learning about more female leaders myself. As u see from the list, they seems to be few...

BackforGood Thu 19-May-16 23:32:07

Biographies

HappyHeart87 Thu 19-May-16 23:42:02

Sounds like a great idea!

When I read your list my first thought was 'please tell them about more women than just Thatcher!'

I don't know what you're considering 'leading', but off the top of my head, some influential women who have / are shaping the world:

Pankhurst
Malala
Angela Merkel
Aung San Suu Chi....

harajukugirl Fri 20-May-16 03:55:03

Thank you. I have aung sung and Pankhurst on my list. I will add merkle.

Thank you for the link. I will take a look tonight.

Good question on what is 'leadership'. I haven't yet answered this myself but thought I'd start by the traditional, generally accepted definition and therefore lists of leaders.

There are not many resources out there that cater to 8 year olds...

HappyHeart87 Fri 20-May-16 09:48:10

They're already on your list! Sorry - that was a sleep deprived brain fart.

BackforGood Fri 20-May-16 16:34:09

I thought of this thread when i spooted a biography of Marie Curie on BBC4 from last Monday (16th) - a female 'Leader' in Scientific discoveries if ever thre were one.
It's an hour though not a 30 min prog, but eminently watchable. It would be on i-player if you can pick that up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now