When does the uncontrollable crying at bath/bedtime stop!

(7 Posts)
Chocolateyclaire76 Wed 11-May-16 21:01:50

My little one is 7 weeks and goes absolutely mental from about 6pm onwards. We start bath then and try the get her down as soon as possible but it is one long screamfest until she exhausts herself.

Any idea when this starts to fade?!

She's our second and although number 1 liked a good old scream, bath and bed usually distracted her!!

Newtobecomingamum Thu 12-May-16 01:03:11

Does she have colic? Sorry to ask, but could the bath be too hot or could she be sensitive to any of the products your using. Have you tried not bathing beforehand and doing bed routine to see if it's the bath upsetting her? Are you winding long enough before putting down to sleep? Could it be gas?

WhatsGoingOnEh Thu 12-May-16 01:10:36

Sorry, but I don't really believe any baby "likes a good old scream". There's something wrong if they cry uncontrollably.

If you can get hold of a copy of The Baby Whisperer book, the author gave a FANTASTIC guide to what each type of cry means. It's fascinating, each cry is different, different mouth shapes, etc.

Please find it and refer to it. Maybe they're cold, hungry, in pain..? I don't think that screaming should be disregarded.

WhatsGoingOnEh Thu 12-May-16 01:12:19

Here's a link to a post listing the different cries and their meanings. Any of these seem to relate to your DC?

www.babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=141660.0

MrsA2 Thu 12-May-16 07:04:05

Early evenings were always challenging in our house. Is she breastfed? Breastmilk is at its thinnest at that time of day/supply is lower so my DD tended to just want to be latched on to produce more milk I think. From 7/8 weeks the crying in the evenings noticeably started to reduce.

CupcakesRule Thu 12-May-16 07:23:04

Maybe she needs to be in bed at 6pm ?
My 9 month old has always needed to be in bed early. X

SweetBerries Thu 12-May-16 10:33:15

There's always the chance that she's early teething - I know that my little one had this problem from around 10 weeks.
Also, he HATED baths around that age, to the point where he barely ever had them because he just screamed so much. If you haven't got a thermometer, they do really nice ones in the shape of a duck and mine is invaluable. However, at 7 weeks my boy still screamed no matter how perfect the temperature. Some of them just feel the cold a bit more. Maybe change the bedtime routine to exclude the bath one night and see if it helps?

Just to reassure you, in my experience things start to settle in about 2 or 3 weeks time - my LO started to enjoy his baths and settle down at night. I'm not breastfeeding so I can't give advice about that, but I tried white noise to settle him to sleep and he still has it now!

I promise it will get better. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now