8 year old boy never been dry at njghg

(10 Posts)
enfru Wed 27-Apr-16 21:44:07

My DS is 8 and a half and has never had a single dry night in his life. We've been to the school nurse, the GP and a paediatrician. Had an alarm, he's been on desmopressin, a starter dose and then a higher dose, oxybutinin and both combined.
None have helped. We've been told to do bladder training making sure he drinks lots during the day but 5 days a week he's at school so can't monitor it.
He has a residential trip in October this year for 2 nights and he's adamant he's not going on it. Not because he doesn't want to go but because he's worried people will
find out about his bed wetting.
We're waiting on a referral to the renal department at the hospital but I doubt the bed wetting will have stopped by October.
Does anyone know of anything else we can try? It's heartbreaking having him cry and say he can't go on trips or sleepovers because of it

bikiniline Wed 27-Apr-16 21:46:45

Sorry, no advice but watching with interest and hope as we are in the same boat (though DS is 8 next month) and have turned down the opportunity to go on a school trip in June because of this. I feel sad for him.

Titsywoo Wed 27-Apr-16 21:47:45

I tried lots with DD but it in the end it just happened at 9 or 10. DS is having the same issue and he is 9 - he's now dry half the time. Personally nothing worked for us (alarms etc).

Palomb Wed 27-Apr-16 21:50:31

My ds is 7.5 and still soaking ever night. It'll happen when it happens, he's not wetting the bed for fun.

bikini it's a shame you turned down the camp. My ds went on a beaver camp recently and they were great about it. It is so common with boys that these sorts of places are used to it.

enfru Wed 27-Apr-16 21:57:37

I've told my DS we can talk to his teacher and get a solution so no one else will know but he just started crying about it.
I feel awful for him because everything we've tried he's been so hopeful that it will work and nothing has

iwouldgoouttonight Wed 27-Apr-16 22:02:00

My DS is 9 and still wets in the day as well as at night. I can't offer much advice on how to get him dry (as we're obviously still struggling) but I just wanted to reassure you that it's not that uncommon. DS has been on two residentials with the school and the teachers and the staff where he stayed were great. We spoke to them in advance to make sure they could plan a way of him discretely disposing of his pull-up, and if he wet the sheets the staff would wait until all the children were outside and then change the sheets so nobody knew. He said he got changed under the covers so nobody could see him putting on a pull-up! (he could have done it in the bathroom).

The teachers said there are always a few children who still wet at night so they know how to deal with it.

CrushedVelvet Thu 28-Apr-16 22:11:41

We tried a campaign of taking our son (then 7) to the loo last thing before lights out, then waking him up about 3 hours later when we went to bed and taking him to the loo again.

For the first month or so, we found he had occasionally already wet his bed if we went to bed rather late and therefore woke him too late. But after 6 months of this, and several months of dry beds, we stopped waking him and found that he could sleep through without either wetting or having to get up to go.

He's now been dry 1.5yrs, despite having had soaking pyjama pants every single morning before we popped him in pants and started the night-time waking regime.

Perhaps worth a try. Good luck!

MrsLeighHalfpenny Thu 28-Apr-16 22:18:24

I've taken Brownies (7-10) away on residential who wet the bed. As long as we know it's really not a problem, and there are all sorts of ways we can help the child keep it secret.
Please do encourage him to let you talk to the teacher.

No advice on how to help him stop, but you don't see many 16 year olds who aren't dry at night. He'll grow out of it eventually.

sleepwhenidie Thu 28-Apr-16 22:21:34

Ds1 was exactly the same at 8, desmopressin and alarms didn't work. He just got dry a couple of months after he turned 9. Please don't let him miss the trip sad, talk to teachers as pp's have said.

enfru Fri 29-Apr-16 17:17:27

I would never let him miss the trip, I'm trying to encourage him to go but hes so worried about someone finding out. Have managed to get him to agree to let us talk to the teacher.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now