Sodding sassy 5yo

(5 Posts)
BusyCee Sat 23-Apr-16 19:39:57

Always has an answer for everything. Often looks for the most spurious reasons to have a tantrum or a drama - which he seems to love. The last week has been a constant constant constant round of moaning and whining and complaints.

What do you do? At the moment I'm pulling him up almost constantly - which probably makes it worse as he's getting loads of attention from it. I don't want to ignore it because actually he's totally disrespectful and I don't accept anyone in the house bing spoken to like that. I want to just send him away when he's being a cheeky fecker. Fair?

Kariana Sun 24-Apr-16 21:24:21

Sending him away might actually be the solution. 5 minutes time out in his room for cheeky behaviour or dramatics that aren't corrected after 1 warning. That way the behaviour is depriving him of attention rather than gaining it.

OiWithThePoodlesAlready Sun 24-Apr-16 21:39:45

Mine has just turned 6 and is the same. We call her 'the diva'.

I have started to ignore he low level whining. But as you say, you can't ignore the it when they cross the line into disrespectful.

What has been working (although it's very early days) is a treat system. She is allowed two treats a day and she can choose what they are. It can be food or something else. I explained that I can't give out treats if she's shouty. I didn't actually mean to link it to behaviour but just having some set in stone guidelines has seemed to really help.

Marking place incase anyone has the answer...

BusyCee Mon 25-Apr-16 17:18:10

Thanks. We had a good 121 homework session yesterday while other 2 DCs were otherwise occupied. He seems to have chilled out since then. I am going to adopt the 'go to your room if you can't stop bleating strategy' and I think it's back to the reward chart too. Pincer manoeuvre

CrumblyMumbly Mon 25-Apr-16 17:28:46

I have one here too. Over the top crying whenever she can't get her own way and constant drama. I'm trying to ignore most and send to room for 5 minutes if lines are crossed. It's very draining and I'm hoping it will pass soon. Have tried reward chart with little success.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now