Changing shape during puberty - can you lose inches while still growing and gaining weight?

(4 Posts)
LifeIsGoodish Thu 21-Apr-16 20:42:14

I made dd a flared skirt 6 months ago. It was a perfect fit then. She just now tried it on and it was loose on her - the waistband hung on her hips. We were both surprised!

She's growing taller, eating well, active, lean but not skinny, and developing her womanly shape. Barely any bust, but has a definite waist.

I assumed that her hips were probably growing faster, creating her waist, but can it be that her waist is actually shrinking as well?

pippistrelle Fri 22-Apr-16 08:44:04

I think shape change can happen very fast in children. Just based on my child and her friends, they often seem to bulk up a little just before they have a growth spurt, and then all the stored energy goes in to putting on height, so they lose the extra bulk again.

So, yes, fluctuations in waist size are normal.

Passthecake30 Fri 22-Apr-16 08:48:07

I remember being a size 16 and 5ft 9....a year later I was a size 10 and 6ft, my clothes were a nightmaresmile

MattDillonsPants Fri 22-Apr-16 09:56:56

Yes. My DD is 11 and has been developing rapidly this year. She was almost plump last year but suddenly her waist has shrunk and her feet have grown like clown feet! grin

She's so short still but we think she must be due some height when we look at her massive flippers!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now