my 6.5 mo doesn't roll

(9 Posts)
havalina1 Wed 20-Apr-16 07:24:16

Do I need to be concerned?

He can roll onto his side, but doesn't bother much. He has never rolled by himself in either direction.

He's doing everything else - stands with weight in his legs, holds things and passes from one hand to the other, babbles consonant and vowel sounds... he's really sociable. He can also sit up unsupported. But he's completely missed this milestone. It's meant to happen at 5 months I think but he's closer to 7 months.

I mentioned it to HV on the phone who seemed really unconcerned but said as big sis is in for her 2yo review they'll see him too.

Anyone else have experience of this?

Dolallytats Wed 20-Apr-16 09:36:02

I really wouldn't worry about it, some babies reach some milestones earlier than others. Some babies skip some milestones altogether. I don't remember my DC3 ever really rolling and she is almost 3 years old now and a little whirlwind!!

It's always best to check with your health visitor if you are worried, but I don't think she will be too concerned.

Groovee Wed 20-Apr-16 09:38:26

My Dd never rolled or crawled. In fact she didn't move until she was 11 months and then she bum shuffled. Ds rolled, commando crawled, crawled and bum shuffled!

They are all so different X

coldcanary Wed 20-Apr-16 09:40:22

Don't worry, my youngest never rolled and my eldest never crawled, both are fine, fit and healthy! smile
As the pp said, they don't always go through every milestone like the books and checklists say they should.

Highlove Wed 20-Apr-16 14:16:35

Mine rolled at 11 months. A full two months after she'd started crawling.

minipie Wed 20-Apr-16 14:35:08

Both mine only rolled after crawling, 9+ months old. I think I read somewhere (possibly on MN!) that it's not regarded as a milestone at all as it's so variable?

havalina1 Wed 20-Apr-16 15:14:01

Oh! Ok, that is great to hear. Thank you all!

I worry so much more with my second for some reason, and he's an incredibly chilled out baby! Nothing like the elder sister - a

havalina1 Wed 20-Apr-16 15:14:41

Whoops he hit Send!

Nothing like the older sister, I was trying to say smile

Thanks again!

ThisWasCrownjewel Wed 20-Apr-16 15:18:37

Don't worry - they all hit different milestones at different times (and not necessarily in the order the book says they should!)
DS rolled - precisely once each way - at exactly 16 weeks, then never bothered again until way past 7 months (and started crawling a fortnight later). He much preferred lying on his front and slithering backwards along the floor like a reverse commando!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now